Whats a good Canadian website to buy a pc from?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeH1, Aug 14, 2003.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

My brother is looking at buying a new pc. Is there any good Canadian companies/websites that offer decent prices?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

is he looking to build one or buy one pre-assembled?

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

ooopps sorry I should have been a little more detailed.

Well, he's looking for one already built. He doesn't know to much about pc's and I already asked him about assembling his own but he couldn't be bothered to do it. Soooo...

He doesn't need a moniter, speakers and all the extra's, just a tower with the goods, something to run games like Battlefield 1942 and up and coming Half Life 2. He went to a small store in town and they quoted him $1600.00 for a P4 2.4, 512 DDR ram, a 120 GB harddrive, with a Ati Radeon 9200. Can't remember the rest of the details...the price seemed way high so I told him to look and comparable shop.

4. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    Try going to Dell.ca and choosing the 4600 series. You can then select your system and use this to compare it to the local price. I quickly entered in the info that you mentioned and came up with a price (cdn) of $1500, which included a dvd, cdrw, and 17" monitor. If you don't want the monitor, you can call them and they will probably drop $100 or so off that price. That price doesn't include shipping and taxes - although i see that you would get an additional $75 discount today. Note that their prices and sales change every week (ie: todays sale includes the free dvd and cdrw... next weeks sale might be "double your memory and hard drive for free"). We have about 50 dells at work, and they are excellent!

5. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I would recommend a company just south of you in Calgary Memory Express you can select all the specific parts you want and for an extra $30 they'll assemble all those parts for you. They have great prices too.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, I wasn't aware that Memory Express delivers. They have a good selection of parts though.

Other Canadians use www.ncix.com for their PC building needs. They also offer pre-built PCs.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Dell's would be an ok choice but having one built from seperate upgradable parts would be my first choice. since he's a gamer he's going to want to upgrade sooner or later and it would be easier in a custom built machine then the Dell. That said for sheer plug and play worry free computing Dells hard to beat.

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Agreed Andrew. I bought my first pc last year and its a dell dimension 8200. I really like it but now that I'm into online gaming and want to upgrade the motherboard or overclock the pc, Dell doesn't offer much in upgradiablity. There's a lot of things I can't do with this pc that I wish I could and its only because its a dell. Oh well, it still serves me and my next one, now that I know more about what I need, won't be a Dell. But for many people that just surf and check email, I admit these are great machines with a good warrenty and good customer support.

I just talked to my brother a couple hours ago and he told me he found a pc. He's getting it put together from a friend. What he found was a P4 2.4 800 Mhz FSB, 512 DDR Ram, 80 GB harddrive, and a GEForce 4 FX 5200. This for $975.00 Cdn + taxes. Includes "building fee". Considering the first place wanted $1600.00 + tax and shopping online we came to a price of $1400.00 + tax, this doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially when the specs were pretty much the same.

I did tell him to skip out on the 5200 and go for a GeForce4 Ti 4200. A little bit more money but a much better card.

Thanks for the help all!