What's a good budget sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ryan Leemhuis, May 25, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

The subject says it all. What are some good budget subs to take a look at. Basically, something that is good but not the BEST. Probably sub 200 dollars.(I know thats small...but is anything good in that range)?

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

The 10” Dayton costs around $115 from www.partsexpress.com and seems to get mentioned a lot around here.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

hey thats pretty good I can afford that! Anything else?

4. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

The dayton is a very good choice. I have it and am AMAZED at the performance for the cost. I dare say you wont find anything that comes close with out paying two to three times as much.

5. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

I concur. The Dayton is absolutely spectacular for the price. I love mine [​IMG]

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

go for the dayton

7. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Better yet, go for two of them if you can wiggle it into your budget.

8. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

For less than $350 shipped you can get a Fosgate Audionics FA15.0 HERE. It's at the bottom of the page. I have one of these and it's very powerful, and heavy at 88lbs. The studio style controls on it can be annoying but would be beneficial to someone with curious children poking around the back of it. It impresses me with how loud it can get with the deep stuff while the driver doesn't seem to move that much - a benefit of a large driver. It's quite plain looking but makes a good table. Formerly this sub and the other speakers in this line carried the Hafler name and it appears that no hardware has been changed, just the name.

If you go this route, order by phone because during the checkout process to see how much shipping was I noticed the model number was incorrect - FA51.0(monitors) instead of FA15.0(sub).

9. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Dayton...rated down to 25hz and it sounds great!

brad cook

10. Ryan Leemhuis

How much does wattage matter when it comes to subs? I was just wondering because I have a 100 watt Powered kenwood 8" sub currently. While the dayton has a larger woofer...is it worth the switch?

11. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

There is way more too it than woofer size and amp power.

12. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

Yep as JimiC said the sub performance has a lot more variables than driver size and amplifier power rating. It is the total design package that determines the performance. The driver design/materials/location, the box size/design/materials, the port design/size/location, amplifier design, crossover design, etc. Other factors include placement in room, layout of room, and acoustics of room.

All of those items play into how a sub will perform. The Dayton is one of the best especially at it's price range and although I have never heard the Kenwood sub I would safely bet the farm that the Dayton will kill it! (No offense to Kenwood they make some decent electronics but the speakers are in general poor performers.)

13. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

i was very hapy with the Sony WM-500 12 inch 150-200 watts (not sure) i performed some simple modifications which are commonly listed on the internet (Modge Podge on the driver and stuffing the bejesus out of the box with polyfill. for about 140.00 total i got an excellent performer for very little money. very decent for movies and suprisingly well performance on music. if you search for setail on the modifications, a search for mods on sony wm-500 or wm-40 (basically same sub, just older)will yield tons of info on it.
    i'll admit i have no clue how this would perform against the 10" dayton. i've never heard it, but have heard good things

14. Greg-ST

I had the Kenwood 8" passive sub. The Dayton completely trounces it [​IMG]

15. Ryan Leemhuis

but mine is active..

16. Greg-ST

Doesn't matter all that much. I doubt it's power is really noticeable over the passive version. I also doubt Kenwood's amp on the sub would output that much more power than the Kenwood receiver I was using to power the sub.

Believe me, the Dayton beats it hands down. You'll get a good deal more output/punch and a nice improvement on lowend extension.