What's new

What's a good Bicycle builder these days? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi friends,

My wife and I are looking for something affordable and plan to do mostly road and light trail cycling...ideally would like something of decent quality under $200.

I know Cannondale is a good brand but last I checked their bikes were outside of our price range?

Any suggestions on what to look for in terms of construction, gearing, price, etc?

Thanks for your help! :)

Lee

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Try REI, but seriously, I don't think you will find a quality built bike in the < $200 range. More like $400 as an entry level.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, $200 is a little low for a quality build. I used a Trek 4100 at college for my last two years (2 actually, one got stolen) that I paid $350 for. Pretty decent bike.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Giant, Raleigh, Kona, Fuji (at least road bikes). all make some good inexpensive bikes these days, still out of your

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks guys. My wife and I splurged and expanded our budget. We got Trek 7200s...great bike-a nice comfy ride and decent trail capability, 24 speed, good Shimano drivetrain, decent front shock.

We got great service from a local specialty shop and they offer free adjustments for the life of the bike. We had cycling helmuts (Giro) from our roller blading.

We paid a very reasonable $350 (about $20 discount). A good investment I think...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My wife has a VW Trek that came with her 1996 Jetta, it's like new even with little or no maintenance over that period. I just bought a Giant Cypress this year and I like it but it weighs about twice what that Trek weighs!

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I would have suggested a Jamis. I purchased one earlier this year for about $270 and have been very happy with it. It has shocks in the front and in the seat. 21 spd and overall has held up very with with the amount i use it (approx. 50 miles a week)

well recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks