What's a good Bicycle builder these days?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lee Scoggins, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Hi friends,

My wife and I are looking for something affordable and plan to do mostly road and light trail cycling...ideally would like something of decent quality under $200.

I know Cannondale is a good brand but last I checked their bikes were outside of our price range?

Any suggestions on what to look for in terms of construction, gearing, price, etc?

Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

Lee

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Try REI, but seriously, I don't think you will find a quality built bike in the < $200 range. More like $400 as an entry level.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah, $200 is a little low for a quality build. I used a Trek 4100 at college for my last two years (2 actually, one got stolen) that I paid $350 for. Pretty decent bike.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Giant, Raleigh, Kona, Fuji (at least road bikes). all make some good inexpensive bikes these days, still out of your

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks guys. My wife and I splurged and expanded our budget. We got Trek 7200s...great bike-a nice comfy ride and decent trail capability, 24 speed, good Shimano drivetrain, decent front shock.

We got great service from a local specialty shop and they offer free adjustments for the life of the bike. We had cycling helmuts (Giro) from our roller blading.

We paid a very reasonable $350 (about $20 discount). A good investment I think...

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Lee,
    Trek was going to be my suggestion. Bulletproof bikes. I loved mine.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My wife has a VW Trek that came with her 1996 Jetta, it's like new even with little or no maintenance over that period. I just bought a Giant Cypress this year and I like it but it weighs about twice what that Trek weighs!

8. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I would have suggested a Jamis. I purchased one earlier this year for about $270 and have been very happy with it. It has shocks in the front and in the seat. 21 spd and overall has held up very with with the amount i use it (approx. 50 miles a week)

well recommended.