What's new

Whats a good BASS cd or DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I want to test my subwoofer. So, I'm looking for a DVD or CD that has test tones at different frequencies. Maybe someone can help me find what I'm looking for or help me DECIDE what I'm actually looking for. I want to be able to see the curve my sub makes. Thanx

Mike

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
simple....Haunting DTS. The ultimate subwoofer killer.

U-571 will blow a hole in the wall. The opening to Toy Story 2(THX logo on same disc is intense bass) Titan AE DTS is deep and loud. And Star Wars. Great use of the sub in that, especially the final duel. The hum of the blades is done through the use of the subwoofer. Neat effect. DTS JP is great(fixed DTS I mean), the opening credits shake the room.

But the ultimate is still Haunting DTS. My sub cant even go as low as the movie wants to.

Rob Peloski

Agent
Also, search for bass 305 on the web. The majority of all those "speaker testing" mp3's are stolen parts of bass 305 songs.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Down with the Bass (to paraphrase Mike Watt)

Tortoise -- 1st CD

Public Image Limited - Metal Box/2nd Edition; positively subsonic

Any Minutemen CD

Dinosaur Jr. - "You're Living All Over Me"

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
Blue Man Group: Audio

Lots of percussion instruments. Gives you a broad spectrum of drum sounds.

Trace

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
For pure CDs with DEEP DEEP bass:
Bass Mekanic - Sonic Overload
DJ Magic Mike - Bass:The Final Frontier
Dinosaur Jr? Come on :)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
DJ Magic Mike - Bass:The Final Frontier
Can we say DROP!? :D DJ Magic Mike is what got me into bass back in 1992.
- Test - I have the Auto Sound CD test set from Crutchfield. Lots of testing can be done with this. Mostly for stereo but very good sweeps.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3pmrsnD...i=700CDSET&s=0
- Test - Avia Setup disk - can be had for $35.00+ (DVD I believe)has sweeps on it also.
- Music - Anything from Bass Mekanic
- Music - Anything from Techmaster PEB
- Music - Telarc CD's - Bach Busters, Jurrasic Lunch, 1812 Overture with sonic cannons (ouch!)
- Test - Sheffield Lab "My Disk" CD - has a kick drum track that is unbelievable. Kick drum was so fierce in the track that it couldn't be cut to record because the groove was to large. Good way to test just how fast your sub will move without muddying the sound.
Link Removed
- Music - Metallica - the song I believe is called "ONE". There is a certain kick drum sequence that is extremely rapid. Another good way to see if the sub will muddy the sound. Each beat of the kick drum should be distinct and separate.
Of course most of these are musical. HT will be different. But the 3 test disks above should have the sweeps you are looking for. I'd start with the Avia and then work from there.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
For a good music disc that will give you a nice idea of how your system handles deep bass tonality, pick up the CD BADUIZM by Eryka Badu. The whole album has deep clear bass, but not the cheeseball driving-around-bumpin'-like-an-idiot crap.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Thanx for all the replies. I'm going to try to download a few samples of each CD suggested before I pick one to buy. Thanx again!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks