whats a good "apartment sub"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Oct 26, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i just got my new system which consists of cambridge soundworks speakers with a sony da1es receiver and i'm looking for some more bass without having to turn up the bass in the eq since i sorta hate adding "fake" bass to the music, the problem is i live in an apartment and it'd really do me no good to spend $500 on a a nice svs sub since i can't turn it up too loud or i'll get the cops coming over every night, i'm looking for a sub to add decent bass to movies and cost around $200

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't think there is a sub in existance that will sound decent and not annoy the neighbors. Infact the more boomy smaller ones have a tendancy to be more annoying when music is the source.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin and Zane,
    I was at the DIY Atlanta event today and one of the participants was using the Dayton $99 subwoofer from Parts Express with a pair of small full-range speakers. I gotta tell ya, I don't think there's anything out there for up to $300 that is any better. Very smooth, non-boomy sound. As a matter of fact, I think it would easily sell for $300 at any retail store.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-630&DID=7

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

The Sony SA-WM40 is $200 or sometimes much less, discounted. There are many comments about it on this forum and at http://www.audioreview.com. The Sony SA-WM20 at $100 from, e.g., Circuit City (see user reviews on their website), is smaller and has less volume. Neither needs to sound boomy if properly adjusted. I have the SA-WM20.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

www.cheaphometheater.com rates the Sony SA-WM40 as a pretty good sub. The pros out there recommend to get the best sub you can afford and turn the volume down on it- for top sound quality and tight bass. While most feel an 8" sub is too small- I read a lot of positive reviews on $300-$400 subs from top companies that can be purchased used. Check out audioreview.com as Greg says for top rated subs, but keep in mind, different standards for different folk. I'm in the same boat as you- my major problem being the size of the sub in an apt. Wish I could stick it in the closet. Good-Luck!

6. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Check this out;
    http://www.audioweb.com/Ad/AdInfo.asp?adid=122396
    This is an incredible sub for the money. Not an apartment sub, but if you keep its volume level low than you will not have any problems. The cheap sonys and such cannot touch this.
    It may not be what you are looking for but I thought it was worth posting.
    -rob