What's new

Whats a good 16:9 TV for use with interlaced DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I also have a Laserdisc player. I would like to watch my DVD's on 16:9 and take advantage of the anamorphic factor. I'm not looking for Progressive or HDTV, except where they work well with interlaced inputs.

Gabor

Auditioning
Well, you are looking into progressive scan and HDTV. Your best bet is a set with a line doubler and 3:2 pull-down with as many aspect ratio setting as possible.
A best pick is the Pioneer Elite line - the street prices are much lower than the MSRP.

W

Will

Pioneer Elite street prices may continue to drop because
new models are expected in the fall.
Also this fall's Pioneer non-Elite RPTVs will have a
line doubler said to be as good as what's in current
model Elites. Non-Elite Pioneer RPTVs sell for less
than Pioneer Elite RPTVs.
Also, in a few months, Toshiba's new RPTV models, said to
have an improved line doubler over their current RPTVs,
will be out.
And all of the above do 3:2 pull-down.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
If you don't want HD/progressive scan capability at all (not sure why not...) then the last best model available was the Toshiba TW40H80, which was last made in the model year 1998, I think. I own one, and it's a great NTSC set, one of the best ever, IMHO. Properly calibrated, this thing is just amazing. So, maybe look for one used from a reputable owner... otherwise the only 16:9 sets available now are also HD/prog scan.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to Pioneer and Toshiba already mentioned, the deinterlacers in the 2002 model year sets from Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Panasonic and Sony are reportedly all going to do 3:2 processing. Depending on model and manufacturer, these are due for release in June through October. In the case of Hitachi, there is a thread at the Home Theater Spot that 3:2 processing has already been slipped, unadvertised, into the current Hitachi's. There are many threads that Toshiba has done the same but there is still some confusion about that.
In any event, this appears to be the year that it becomes common for deinterlacers to include a film mode. How good a film mode remains to be seen, however.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks