What's new

What's a 4:20 Music Video? (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jack, I was at one of those hybrid newsstand/coffeehouse things and didn't pick it up because I was clubbing around and didn't want to carry it. (I only skimmed the article, so saying it was "all about" 4:20 may have been premature. I was pretty faded, and the espresso hadn't kicked in yet)

+Checks this month's Cannabis Culture+

Nope, it is definitely this month's High Times. I believe the article is titled 420 Forever. Picking my copy up tonight on the way home from work. I have to read the article on psychedelic chemist Sasha Shulgin. Also, a not-to-miss recipe for High-Yield Wild Blueberry Muffins

Don't Fear the Reefer

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Zen, there's an Alexander Shulgin interview in the current High Times, so there you go.

(BTW, aren't you glad the magazine has reverted Back to the Buds? I, too, was a bit dazed by the bizarre turn the magazine took last year when trying to broaden its appeal. All the Stephen Hager crew had been replaced by all those lifestyle writers, and the logo echoed the look of the magazine's early years. But sales plummeted. After all, there are innumerable lifestyle/politics magazines already out there -- and High Times was redolently a potsmoker's book. As for Cannabis Culture, I've been looking at it since it was Cannabis Canada. Then there's the newer magazine, Heads. Verdict? High Times still rules!)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jack, I remember about 4 or 5 years back Cannabis Culture taking some pretty nasty digs at High Times and vice-versa. I never understood what really happened with Hager, being a more occasional(not-religious) reader. I don't care for much of HT's off-topic banter, but admit I enjoy reading celeb's takes on marijuana(a guilty pleasure). Especially, when it's informed.

I wish I remembered that derogatory comment Hager allegedly made about CC. +Thinks+

Yeah, High Times is still the king. They both seem to be on decent terms now. I enjoy CC's online forums. Sorry, I don't care much for Heads. Cool name though.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, I smuggled in an issue of High Times to work.
+thumbs+
It states:

"1971 five San Rafael students christen the term "4:20" meeting daily at that hour to share a smoke under the school's statue of Louis Pasteur. The original password "4:20 Louis"

There are some other cool facts in a handy outline even mentioning a few issues that I'm hoping Jack will find.

+Shoves his High Times back in his backpack+

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Most of Hager's old crew is back, but Hager himself is now designated on the masthead as "editor at large." The actual editorialship has been assumed by three staffers.

But last year, during the magazine's bizarre lapse, and especially in those first two issues, one could find more information about cannabis in a typical Playboy than in High Times. Obviously, that did not sit well with the magazine's readership. Now, all of those people running the show last year have been let go, and the old crew is back.

The magazine has had the occasional odd streak happen before.

Yes, Zen, there were nasty swipes between HT and CC a few years ago -- most on CC's part. Now, Ralph Emery is getting some flack about his seed company shipping bad product.

Meanwhile, at Heads, at least one can read Ed Rosenthal again (who also used to be HT's resident pot guru).

I take it that there's a bit of ongoing scandal at HT.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Exactly.

This "bad product" in regards to Marc Emery is news to me. I know of a few satisfied customers. Yeah, the mud-slinging surprises me too with all the cross-over.

I wonder if this "editor at large" is just a glorified title? Hager did bring us the Cannabis Cup, among other things. (and a certain debate inappropriate for HTF discussion)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks