What's a 4:20 Music Video?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Don Black, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I get the reference to drugs (or rather the time to do drugs) but what is the tie-in to music videos? Drug loving bands? Videos with drugs in them? Thanks!

2. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

What channel are you "Reefer"ing to? Pun intended. [​IMG] Maybe there is no correlation at all. Just whatever video being played at 4:20

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Which I have never understood. At 4:20, I'm still at f..in' work. Makes all of us advocates look like jobless losers. Change it to 720, for us that have jobs and don't suffer from couch-lock.

When someone asks "What's a good 420 album?", they simply mean what music sounds really good high. Maybe it's something similar? Never heard the reference tied in with a music video though.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm not certain, but I think "420" is California police code for marijuana possession/use or something. You know, "we got a 420 in progress" sorta thing.

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Mere myth.....Although, you may be thinking of the SB 420, which was a Ca. Senate bill for medical marijuana.

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I have a friend at work who is a (literally) a hippie who smokes.

Her Birthday is 4/20/69. She loves it! [​IMG]

And I think its the CA Senate bill which started the whole 420 thing.

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    The whole 4:20 thing started at a No. Calif. high school back in the 60's. They met at 4:20 in the afternoon to...well, you know the rest...

Rob

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Rob you are correct!

If some of you have XM radio on channel 41 The Boneyard, they always reference each time zone at 4:20. During this time there is a short clip played of a yodeling guy and the sounds of a water bong being used.

Paul

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rob is correct regarding the origin of "4/20" as potsmoking lingo. High Times did a story on that about four years ago.

10. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Now that that is established, the question remains. "What makes a 4:20 video". But Don, I still want to know what channel is playing these. is it MTV, MTV2, Fuse, BET, VH1 or annother?

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

What do you mean by the word "makes"?

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

[​IMG] Yeah, we kinda went off on a tangent huh? Senate bills, High Times etc.

I assumed someone used the phrase 420 video(to Don) and Don was confused. Not that Don saw a 420 video and was confused. Oh my, well, now I know what makes a 420 thread because I have the "giggles."

[​IMG]

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I think Pannama Red by the New Riders would make a great video por tiempo 4:20... or Funny Lookin' Eyes by Barefoot Jerry or maybe M... by David Peel or Le-ee-galize It by Peter Tosh.

14. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I wonder where in No Cali it was and the name of the school?

15. Jack Briggs

Actually, Matt, if you'd be willing to wait until this weekend, I can tell you all of that. All of it was covered in the High Times story -- and my house has, oh, thirty years' worth of High Times magazine in it (and they're not all sorted and conveniently located).

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

I have a vague recollection that it was in the North Bay, perhaps San Rafael. I'll be interested to see how accurate my memory is when Jack looks up the story.

Rob

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Funny, but this month's High Times has an article all about the origin of 420 etc. Even reflecting on what Jack and others had eluded to, the previous early 90's article. Which they talk about the roots of the term. Including, San Rafael.

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Too bad I can't find a photo anymore of "Barney Banana Slug", the original toking prototype of the UCSC mascot.

19. Jack Briggs

Zen, this month's edition? I picked mine up and only scanned through it (not reading it until this weekend) -- but I don't recall anything on the origin of "4:20."

The only thing in Rob's post that I might take exception with is that the school kids met in the 1970s, not the '60s. And, as I recall, they'd all meet in some park near or under a statue after high school. Generally, when they were ready to spark up, the time would be at around 4:20. They started taking note of that and began using "4:20" as a code to do some herb.

Eventually, the term caught on locally and then grew.

Now, of course, 4:20 is a universally recognized point of lingo among cannabis afficianados.

20. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I always laugh when I hear 4:20, especially when the person saying it has no idea of the meaning. Man I miss the college days...