What's new

what's $5000 get me? (1 Viewer)

Parker

Agent
I'm pretty uninformed on the new types of displays (plasma, rptv, dlp rptv, lcd) and know nothing about tweaking but I'm looking to buy. Any suggestions on a 50" plasma/lcd/rptv around $5000?
I've looked at the Samsung 50" DLP and the various plasmas available at this price range (seems to be mostly only 40" plasmas at this price). Regular RPTV's don't really impress me, but maybe I haven't seen the right one.
Anyway, I own all game systems and play them a lot. Watch a lot of digital cable- will upgrade to HDTV cable or satellite to get HD. Also would be interested in hooking up a computer and using it as a monitor for gaming and surfing. Aay help's appreciated. I now see Panasonic makes a 52" DLP- is it that much better than the Sam? It seems to run at least $1000 more.
So basically looking for a monitor I can use for DVDs, TV, vidgames and potentially a computer monitor.

Parker

Agent
44 views and no replies? somebody help me! I must own a big TV and it must be under $5000. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Parker,

You might find threads comparing the Samsung & Pioneer DLP RPTVs both here and at AVS--just run some searches using the model numbers. Both have strong points and weak points. The Toshiba LCOS set is out of your price range (nice unit though). None of these sets would suffer burn-in.

The Pioneer 503CMX is relatively inexpensive for 50" plasmas but over your $5K limit. Be careful shopping around for "bargain" plasmas--you may get old technology (and each iteration gives nice improvements) or simply a crappy display. There are a number of 42"/43" models (some w/ HD resolution) that are under $5K.

In terms of inexpensive CRT-based RPTVs, I like the Hitachi SWX models. I'm not sure how well they handle computer and game inputs--some searches on this topic too may turn up specific info. With your budget you could pick up say the Hitachi 57SWX unit and get it ISF calibrated. You'd have quite an image, though less than stellar off-axis viewing (given the CRT-oriented technology).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks