whats 4.1 audio on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BryanW, Nov 22, 2001.

1. BryanW

BryanW Agent

Hi I'm looking at a music DVD with 4.1 Audio. I've never heard of this and ideas?

2. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

Must mean four guys and a midget in the band. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

4.1 is basically the same for DPL surround.With the front three channels + mono surround audio,the .1 stands for a dedicated low bass.
    If i am not wrong([​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The XANADU dvd has 4.1 sound, which is discrete channels for the front 3 speakers, mono surround and an LFE channel. The only thing you need to look out for is that 6.1 and 7.1 systems will collapse the surrounds to the center rear speaker with 4.1 software (since it's mono).

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The others have described what it means; I just thought that I'd add that what is going on here is that they are taking the original Dolby Surround mix and doing the decoding for you to the six individual speakers, rather than a Dolby Surround decode at home. Normally, this is a nice idea, as I'd like to think that the studio has a better surround decoder than my one at home [​IMG]

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    As an audio DVD, another possibility is that the 4.1 configuration used is two front and two rear channels plus LFE. That is, the standard 5.1 channel layout minus the centre channel.

Conventional Dolby Digital 4.1 soundtracks aren't simply pre-processed Dolby Surround material, but a representation of the soundtrack's original discrete channels as used when creating the Dolby Surround mix. As these channels are discrete, the overall effect is considerably better that that possible from a matrixed soundtrack.

Adam

7. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Yup, a 4.1 discrete movie soundtrack is just the pre-Dolby Stereo matrixed 4 channel discrete master with some low bass filtered and routed to the .1 channel of the Dolby Digital or DTS encoder.

Dan

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Xanadu" actually doesn't have a LFE channel. This was most likely a discrete magnetic soundtrack, which is what they used in theaters before Dolby Stereo optical became the norm (that came out in '76 but didn't get established til the 80's.)

Madacy's "Ultimate Space Experience", which is widely regarded as one of the worst DVDs in existence, has a discrete 4-channel soundtrack with some interesting use of the surround channel.

9. BryanW

BryanW Agent

Thanks for your help everyone the DVD I was refering to is Shania Twain. So far the only 5.1 Music DVD i've found is the Eagles ( When Hell Freezes over) Which is a exellent DVD .If you know of any other great 5.1 DVD's pass it on thanks again . BryanW[​IMG]

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

As stated above, 4.1 for music usually means left and right fronts, left and right surrounds, and a subwoofer channel. No center channel.
    Dan