Whatever you do DO NOT buy from Joseph Electronics!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm posting this for ref from anyone looking to order custom cabling supplies. This is kind of long, but I think it's useful for anyone looking to deal with this company.

Based on mentions on this forum and others, when I went looking for another supplier for canare & belden parts-- I decided to try Joseph Electronics. Let this post serve as a cautionary tale for anyone considering the same mistake.

Right off the bat, I should mention that my previous supplier was HAVE, INC. Overall, I was pretty happy with Have- however they had a few major issues on my last order which I was hoping I could clear up by going with another supplier, namely:

1) HAVE was bad about dealing via email. Almost every reply to email I got took a week, and even then it usually told me to call them. I'm a pretty busy guy and find coordinating cable orders to be better done in my spare time. I wanted a supplier that was better about dealing with email promptly and were willing to do the majority of order questions and coordination electronically.

2) HAVE did not stock a handful of items I needed, or were ridiculously overpriced. For example, TECHFLEX, which HAVE charged about 200-300% what markertek charged... and could never give me a decent answer as to why. As a result of this kind of stuff, I had to order from 2 or 3 different suppliers everytime- wasting a lot of time and making time coordination difficult. I was willing to pay a little extra (not 300% but...) to get everything I wanted from one supplier.

3) Despite the fact that I spent over $10,000 with them last year, when I misordered some heatshrink- they charged me a restocking fee and didn't let me return 1-2 of the items. I understood their point of view, but I thought it was a bit silly to risk losing $10k per year over possibly eating $18 in heatshrink (which they likely could have sold to someone else). In addition, after the order was corrected, they proceeded to RESEND me the wrong items three times.

So, I thought it was time to check somewhere else. I tried emailing 3-4 of the bigger supply houses, explaining exactly what I've posted here- and sending them my price lists from Have-- and asking if they could match or even get close. Only one of them replied, it was Joseph Electronics.

I should have seen the red flags right off the bat. Despite a nice email assuring me that these issues I had with HAVE would be no problem, it still took days to get email responses, when they came at all. I was assigned to a sales rep, BRIAN JABLONOWSKI, who would repeatedly ignore my emails- I would send them 2-3 times before getting replies. I finally emailed the president of the company complaining about this and expecting to be reassigned to another rep-- but instead I just got a response from Brian at the obvious urging of Yohay the owner.

During the course of trying to place a $2000 order, my rep went out of contact for a week to attend a conference. They made me fill out several pages of credit applications for credit I didn't want (or need, as I deal all in certified funds). These two issues ended up wasting 2 extra weeks from when I sent my order list to them in April.

After waiting for a total for a while, I emailed to find out what was going on (note, no one bothered to contact me, I just got tired of waiting). My rep replied to tell me that he would be unable to get a few colors of heatshrink I needed- and that i would have to order these things from someone else.

This was obviously the EXACT reason I came to their company in the first place. I had told them this in my initial contact, and given them a complete list of the items I would be ordering.

I responded to Brian and explained that i thought it was an unwise business decision. If I was running a supply company and was dealing with a customer who specifically contacted me to be a "one stop" source -- I would just order the items from a competitor and keep the customer happy. Why risk losing a $2500 order over 1-2 $5 items??

I finally got a total at the end of April (after waiting a few weeks) and later that week I fedexed them my bank check.

It's now been about a month since I sent payment for my order- I gotten almost zero communication during this period. The only info I've gotten from them is when I send angry emails, and each time Brian replies to tell me my order would ship soon. When i first sent the check, I had an email on 4/27 from Brian saying:

When I didn't see it before the Holiday weekend - I emailed again to make sure it shipped the 26th as his previous email had promised.

Nope. It didn't finally ship till today, a week later (although I still don't have a tracking number, so this is likely bullshit too). He didn't bother to email on the 26th (or the 27th or 28th) to let me know the order was still holding.

So, from not replying to emails (despite me asking ahead of time if they were comfortable with dealing via email) to taking weeks to get prices together to taking a month to get the actual order together, delayed shipments, no communications from my rep. I'm absolutely flabbergasted- I have never dealt with worse service from a company like this.

I would strongly recommend avoiding them at all costs!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Oh, wait, the story get's even better! Back in April, I emailed Brian about a specialty item I knew would be backordered. Since I knew it would take some time to get- and I knew the customer was in a hurry- I emailed him in advance in hopes that he could get moving on it ahead of time so it could ship sooner:

APRIL 7th 2004

So, despite the fact that he was going to order it 2 months ago, they still don't have it-- in addition to which he seems to have completely forgotten he said he would order it and instead is suggesting I was going to get it from another supplier (again, the whole reason I ordered from them in the first place was to have ONE supplier).

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Too bad about your difficulties in dealing with suppliers via e-mail. I've never tried to do business via e-mail for a couple of reasons, the main one being that e-mail has mushroomed to the point of being a burden to go through with all the spam around. I recently changed by e-mail name at work because I was having to delete over 100 spams every morning (300+ on Mondays) and I inadvertently deleted some good emails over the past year. I think sales departments prioritize communications and probably e-mail is below phone and snail-mail.

If this is the Chicago Joseph Electronics, then I must post this as a balance to your posts. I have used and recommended Joseph Electronics for a couple of years. My first experience with them was the best experience I've had in calling a company for the first time. I was not a customer then and ordered FAR less than you, but the phone rep spent quite a bit of time with me recommending different coax cable for different applications. He told me what his large broadcast customers use, and recommended some less expensive cable than what I thought I wanted, but the pros use it, I saved money, and JE had a smaller sale. The guy was an expert and really knew coax and all the Belden and other cable companies' products. I was so impressed that I called Belden and spoke to the market manager, telling him about my positive experience. He replied that JE is one of their best distributors and that they receive lots of compliments about JE.

I just don't understand why you were treated the way you were, Vince. It doesn't make sense. The 2 or 3 times I ordered from JE, I was treated like a good, large customer (even though I never spent much over $100 per order) and my orders were shipped immediately. Note that I communicated with JE by phone. There's no excuse for the mishandling of your e-mail communications/orders, but since you are unable to do business by phone, you'd better continue your search for a distributor that will handle your e-mails more professionally.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I don’t doubt this. I recently ordered some CD-Rs from direct from Yamaha’s on-line store and had a problem with the order. I sent an e-mail and never got a reply. A week or so later I called their toll-free number and they got the problem fixed immediately.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

A bad supplier can put you out of business. You should put a sticky on this post and leave it here for a couple of years!

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

That does suck some people just don't pay attention to details.

I've ordered from JE a few times, and always on the phone. Wayne was the guy I worked with. He was always helpful. I even went off to HAVE to order some things that were a lot cheaper than JE had them. Later I was told by wayne that he most likely could have done the same price as HAVE on those items. DOH! I wish I had asked!!!

My orders were always smaller, couple hundred each time, but never had a problem.

I can't believe the owner didn't really seem to give a crap about your problems. Not cool.

7. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have a few q about cable makeing i am going to go canare but should i buy teh die and a parts express crimper or the die and the canare crimper? i am going to get the canar striper and where to buy from the best price? thanks

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I got my 100 from Have for a decent deal. I hear Joseph usually has the best prices on tools, but I'd rather pay more money than give these guys another dime.

9. Bryan Michael

thanks i just ordered my stuff from pe and market tec wish me luck

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

On the continuing saga:
    Order arrived last week, included cabling in the wrong color (dunno why but they decided I wanted RED jacket for my coax cable), and a good bulk of stuff missing. When I contacted them about the RED cable, I was told this is the only color jacket they stock and that BLACK jacket actually required a special order (!?!).

While Brian, my wonder-rep had mentioned a backorder hold on heatshrink (despite the weeks and months that have elapsed since my initial order list), he failed to mention the 275 feet of Belden cable they were also missing... in addition to which, it's been more than a week since the order shipped to me- yet Brian has never bothered to attempt to contact me to let me know the status of backordered items. I finally broke down today and emailed to ask about where the rest of my order is...

So, I'm leaving for LA in about a week, I wonder if there is any chance I'll get this order done, or if I'll be carting all my tools and supplies across the country with me in order to get the damn thing done...

-Vince

11. Bryan Michael

i just ordered the canare striper and crmp die and am wating for the right part i was sent the crimp handle instead of the striper. but my queston should i have went with Belden instead if canare? or is 1 better fir audio and 1 video.

12. Hank Frankenberg

I stick by my wholehearted endorsement of Joseph Electronics. As I mentioned above, I had great, above and beyond service/advice from them. I think Vince has a dud salesman. Also, according to Bryan's last post, Joseph is not the only suppler shipping wrong items.

13. Hank Frankenberg

I stick by my wholehearted endorsement of Joseph Electronics. As I mentioned above, I had great, above and beyond service/advice from them. I think Vince has a dud salesman. Also, according to Bryan's last post, Joseph is not the only suppler shipping wrong items.

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Belden cables have better specs mthan canare, but the canare connector/tools are better. I use 1694 for coax (belden) with the canare C53 connectors.

15. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

IMO, the specs are negligibly better, but the canare cables are more flexible.

CJ

16. Bryan Michael

thanks for all the replys i am going with the canare cable and ends. i just did a 40 foot componet cable and it is better than my old cables that are 3 feet long

17. Yi Yin

Yi Yin Extra

I recommend westlake electronic for belden and canare parts. I just placed an $250 order, and they shipped it the same day and i got it three days later. Their prices are very competitive as well

Yi

18. Chuck-A

Chuck-A Auditioning

As the President of Joseph Electronics,I never want to have any customer have anything less than a great experience with our company.Please confirm if you are the same Vince Tennant formerly of Kent,Ohio who still has a 41.95 open invoice from June 22,2004 for beige TechFlex so I can properly address your posted issues.I look forward to your reply.

19. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

[​IMG] Now that's customer service! It's only been what, a year since he began this ordeal? Glad to see you are on top of things.

-Dave

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I am one and the same. Vince, formerly of Kent, Ohio. Now of Los Angeles, California.

Brian called me 9 months ago and left a message (first time in history I think he ever actually called me), I now assume it was about this outstanding $40.

Given the experiences I had- I really had no interest in returning his call. Of course since he seemed to have plenty of trouble returning my calls and emails, I guess turnabout is fair play.

(As an aside for anyone watching from the sidelines: this $40 item was the one I asked Brian about WEEKS in advance of my order (see my second post above), and I assumed when I paid the original invoice this item was included.

Not only did he never order it, because it was shipped so LONG AFTER my order, I lost the customer-- directly the result of my sales rep lying to me. LOL. This $40 item cost me a $200 order and likely several hundred dollars in repeat business.
    )

I think I've outlined my experiences with your company very clearly. Given the amazing hassle I had dealing with your staff I'd hope you just waive the $40, close out my account (because, unless something really drastic changes there, I assure you I won't be needing it) and we can move on.

And, to be honest, the stuff written above is just the major bullet points-- almost every attempt to contact my rep had to be done repeatedly as emails and calls were never returned. I tried repeatedly to contact Yohay in hopes I would get some better results, instead I simply got CC'd when Yohay forwarded my email back to Brian. When orders didn't show up, I had to initiate contact-- and I had to do so repeatly for days at a time before ever actually getting an answer.

If you are not willing to waive this $40 balance- then drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll happily drop a check in the mail.

Have a good one.

-V

PS: Also, as a side note for anyone keeping score. In the year since my last order with Joseph Electronics, I've spent just shy of $10,000 with their various competition. Although, to be fair, I went back to Have, Inc for my most recent order and have had a horrible experience that rivals the nightmare I had dealing with Brian and Joseph Electronics.

So, I'm pretty much going to stop doing custom cabling because I cannot seem to find a decent supplier who has prices that makes the effort worthwhile. The stess of dealing with poor customer service is simply no longer worth the effort.