What's new

Whatever happened to Theme Show Music? (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've never liked any of Thomas Newman's TV themes other than "Boston Public".
The "Star Trek Voyager" theme was the best part of the show. Hearing it on CD versus the TV broadcasts really does it justice because of the clarity of the recording.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
In my opinion, tunes from television shows of the 1950s and 1960s were very well-crafted. This may be why they remain with us and are easily recalled. That is not to say that today's themes are not good, but for me they are not as memorable. Back then, several shows had clever hooks and well-written melodic antecedents and consequences which because of their shape and contour (their 'singable' quality, if you will) seem to have left an indelible impression on many -- including me -- who remember hearing and enjoying them back in the day.
I think that even the commercials (including the now obsolete cigarette commercials) of nearly the same time period contained many catchy jingles, and I think this may account for why I can recall hundreds of them from years gone by.
(BTW, I play several of these tunes -- both from shows and commercials -- during family get-togethers, sort of in a trivia-like fashion, and people have a great time trying to identify the themes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
In my opinion, tunes from television shows of the 1950s and 1960s were very well-crafted. This may be why they remain with us and are easily recalled. That is not to say that today's themes are not good, but for me they are not as memorable.
But it's not really a fair comparison is it? You're comparing the highlights of two decades of TV theme songs with one moment in time -- now. And during those two decades, almost every show had a theme song, whereas today the shows with real theme songs are in the minority. The best from the 50's and 60's were certainly better crafted and more memorable than what we get right now. And the worst from the 50's and 60's have long since been forgotten about!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam Lenhardt said:
And during those two decades, almost every show had a theme song, whereas today the shows with real theme songs are in the minority.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'with one moment in time'? I'm not understanding that part of what you are saying. Thanks.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Every era of TV and film has an overall sound and feel to it musically, and the same can be said of actors' performances. They can both define their period in time.
I've never cared much for what's been memorable to the masses over time, though. I just like what I like, be it Tom Scott's "Starsky and Hutch" theme or the second version of Mike Post's "Doogie Howser" theme, the one with the soft guitar/drum accompaniment.
I love Goldsmith's "Star Trek" movie theme in all five of its big screen variants, but I still hate how cheesy the "Next Generation" arrangements of it are in comparison.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the endless list of those Steve Dorff or Jesse Frederick sitcom themes of the 80s and 90s?
They always had three elements: A sentimental vocal, an electric guitar open and a sax for the end credits.
Those are also skipped over nowadays as well, for better or for worse.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I think I understand what you are saying.
I think that contour does play an important role in memory, however. For example, I have an easier time recalling melodies in a J. S. Bach fugue than I do melodies in an Arnold Schoenberg chamber symphony, and I appreciate both genres equally. The function of memory in this case has to do with the conjunct vs. disjunct movement in several of the lines, as well as the repeated figures in a fugue, vs. the serialization techniques employed in the Schoenberg work. The themes from the 1950s and 1960s shows, while not as complex as either of my examples, fit more comfortably within the former than the latter scheme, because to my ears and as a result of my experience the melodic movement of the majority of the tunes is catchy, memorable, and easily replicated.
In any event, I am obviously speaking for myself here, as this is how I perceive what it is I am hearing, and to a large extent, recalling.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'with one moment in time'? I'm not understanding that part of what you are saying. Thanks.
I read your original post as comparing the TV theme songs of the 50's and 60's with those of today as in what's on the air right now. That didn't see like a fair comparison. Based on your reply, it sounds like you meant the theme songs of the 50's and 60's as compared with everything since the 60's, which is a considerably more fair comparison. I would argue with you on that, though.
All in the Family, The Dukes of Hazzard, Gilligans Island, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Cheers and Golden Girls all had theme songs that have stood the test of time and would be easily recognizable even to kids who weren't around when they originally aired. There were some iconic intrumental theme songs too, like The A*Team, M*A*S*H and Miami Vice too.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Ockeghem, I think you have to open your mind beyond network television. That's where the good theme music is now.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam Lenhardt said:
I read your original post as comparing the TV theme songs of the 50's and 60's with those of today as in what's on the air right now. That didn't see like a fair comparison. Based on your reply, it sounds like you meant the theme songs of the 50's and 60's as compared with everything since the 60's, which is a considerably more fair comparison. I would argue with you on that, though.
All in the Family, The Dukes of Hazzard, Gilligans Island, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Cheers and Golden Girls all had theme songs that have stood the test of time and would be easily recognizable even to kids who weren't around when they originally aired. There were some iconic intrumental theme songs too, like The A*Team, M*A*S*H and Miami Vice too.
Adam,
Yes, you are correct regarding what my comparison was about in the first place. It's certainly fine to have a difference of opinion on the matter.
BTW, isn't Gilligan's Island from the 1960s?
I also wrote "That is not to say that today's themes are not good, but for me they are not as memorable." I think that's a fair statement from my perspective.
Kevin,
When it comes to music, I know of no one with a more open mind than I. Of course, there is much music that is still beyond my experience. But I usually listen to, compose, perform, and/or write about music about six or seven hours a day, and have been doing this for nearly thirty years with very few exceptions (part of my job and all).
Thanks for the advice, though. Can you list a few examples? I'd like to check them out. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Walter C said:
I like the opening credits to Chuck, and almost never skip them.
Ditto, except I never skip it. Love the opening credits from the show.
Recommend getting the song, 'Short Skirt, Long Jacket,' by Cake. The lyrics totally fit in with the show.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Most shows now no longer have theme music intros because they waste too much advertising space on networks. I remember the days of the good theme songs like Magnum P.I., WKRP, The Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, Newhart, Cheers, etc. but they are all 30+ seconds long. They were just plain fun, but they also set the mood too. Now, it's just one more way to get more money by sacrificing this time. Something I totally hate as shows now get shorter and advertising grows longer. Just look at how long shows were back in the 80s compared to now and there is at least 5-8 more minutes of advertising. Eventually I think we will see a 50/50 split.
That is why I NEVER watch live TV unless it's a sports event or live show that I want to see. Every TV show I record on my DVR because now days it is such a waste of time. About the only other ones I don't DVR are the paid premium channels like HBO and Showtime.
Bottom line I think is the day of the great theme song is now dead.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can remember having the cassettes of TV themes, and listening to them in my car, and hearing my friends saying "Oh man, I remember that". I think there were 6 of them.

If they were to make one for shows the last 5 years, I bet they would have a difficult time filling up one side.

Someone on Youtube, uploaded a collection of intros for each year in the 80's and early 90's. And it even included ones I've never heard of or thought it was my imagination that these shows existed. Each year would be divided up into 5 or 6 parts.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
^^I've made a few CDs like that in the past now but it's a much easier thing to do with mp3 players instead of using disc after disc just to make revisions. At the same time, not really fond of those "Televisions Greatest Hits" albums, because of their high price tags and the fact that they often had 'off the broadcast' recordings instead of the master sources themselves.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A few years ago, there was a compilation CD of artists singing saturday morning cartoons. Damn, I admit, for as much as I loved saturday morning cartoons, I'm kind of emberrassed my kids don't have that same thing :frowning:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Nicholas Martin said:
At the same time, not really fond of those "Televisions Greatest Hits" albums, because of their high price tags and the fact that they often had 'off the broadcast' recordings instead of the master sources themselves.
I was just listening to one of them recently, and was reminded of a time when I thought the only way to remember some of these shows is just listening to the themes in the mid-90's. This was before the internet and TV shows on DVD.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nicholas Martin said:
^^I've made a few CDs like that in the past now but it's a much easier thing to do with mp3 players instead of using disc after disc just to make revisions. At the same time, not really fond of those "Televisions Greatest Hits" albums, because of their high price tags and the fact that they often had 'off the broadcast' recordings instead of the master sources themselves.
Nicholas,
I own three of these volumes (1, 2, and 5). I've searched for vols. 3 and 4, but I don't think they exist -- or if they do, I have yet to track them down.
You're right about some of them having the 'off the broadcast' recordings, too. But some of them sound as if they were taken from the master sources. Either way, I appreciate having them. One of the neat aspects of the recordings is that there are so many themes included on each disc. They are a real treat to listen to every now and then. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ockeghem said:
I own three of these volumes (1, 2, and 5). I've searched for vols. 3 and 4, but I don't think they exist -- or if they do, I have yet to track them down.
I have volume 3, assuming I got the numbering right. This would be the one that starts off with Sesame Street (which everyone would scream "Skip it"
), and ends with Saturday Night Live.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
I have volume 3, assuming I got the numbering right. This would be the one that starts off with Sesame Street (which everyone would scream "Skip it"
), and ends with Saturday Night Live.
Walter,
Hey, thanks for that. I guess I haven't tried to track these down for quite some time. When I logged on to OCLC this morning, I found no less than seven(!) volumes of Television's Greatest Hits, as well as a couple of entries for Public Television's Greatest Hits.
Does this look like the one you are referring to above?
Sesame Street -- Muppet show -- Alvin show -- Speed Racer -- Mr. Magoo -- Inspector Gadget -- Smurfs -- Dastardly & Muttley -- Scooby-doo -- Fat Albert & the Cosby kids -- The Archies -- Josie and the pussycats -- Dudley Doright -- Fractured fairy tales -- Cheers -- Bob Newhart show -- Greatest American hero -- Welcome back, Kotter -- Room 222 -- WKRP in Cincinnati -- Taxi -- Barney Miller -- Three's company -- Happy days -- Laverne and Shirley -- Facts of life -- Good times -- One day at a time -- Gimme a break -- Maude -- The Jeffersons -- All in the family -- Sanford and son -- Dallas -- Dynasty -- Knots Landing -- L.A. law -- St. Elsewhere -- Marcus Welby, M.D. -- M*A*S*H -- The Waltons -- Little house on the prairie -- Hart to Hart -- Charlie's angels -- Wonder Woman -- Love boat -- American bandstand -- Solid gold -- Entertainment tonight -- Miami vice -- SWAT -- Baretta -- Streets of San Francisco -- Barnaby Jones -- Starsky & Hutch -- The Rookies -- Kojak -- The A-team -- Name of the game -- Quincy -- Hill Street blues -- Simon & Simon -- Magnum, P.I. -- Rockford files -- Saturday night live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks