What's new

Whatever happened to the World's Fair? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Because you're the only nation on Earth where the little girls' game of rounders is played by grown men? Heck, you can't play rugby without protective padding.
:D :D :D

And Jack - I'll take a look at that documentary; it sounds interesting.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Jack.
The "It's a Small World" ride at the 64-65 World's Fair in Flushing, Queens is my very earliest memory. I was three years old and it made quite an impression on me. Would be interesting to see if the DVD shakes loose any other long forgotten memories. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Jack: I lived quite close to Flushing Meadow in the 60's and took many a day trip to the fair. I, too, remember Belgian Waffles (and the Hollywood exhibit, which featured the actual mask used in THE FLY (1958), to say nothing of re-creating the gladiator fights from SPARTACUS every few hours using live actors. The Unisphere is the only artifact that remains on the site.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a fun disc, Jack.

Is there by chance a corresponding volume for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

All right, Jack. You are going to do it again. You will again impact on the content of my DVD collection. I own Zardoz, and I'll now own the '64 World's Fair doc.

I was at the '64 WF as a five year old. I have vague recollections of standing to see Mr. Lincoln, going on Its A Small World (with the tower of the Four Winds), the big Dino the Dinosaur (representing Petroleum 66), the huge tire building, etc. We also have some 8mm movies of our trip. My sister's high school band played in a concert at the Fair.

And, my dad went to the '39 Worlds Fair in NYC! He has some awesome still photos of that experience!

I've held the documentary DVD in my hands a couple of times at my local Barnes & Noble (the only B&M I've ever seen it in). Maybe I'll even stop today!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
ahh yes, Expo 86 was hella fun in Vancouver. They still have a lot of landmarks leftover from Expo.

I'm kinda with Brent in that I didn't get the huge concrete highway, and wonder what happened to it, even though my parents have lots of pictures of my 13yo self sitting in various vehicles along that highway. BC place was cool. I was so amazed when we watched that IMAX movie for the first time. Canada place is still a spectacle along Burrard Inlet, and the skytrain was recently expanded in Burnaby, so it must still be going strong. I must say, I didn't have a lot of vivid memories from other countries' pavillions... although we did meet a very friendly family from Michigan. At the time I thought that was SO far away!!

- the US pavillion became a bad Pauly Shore movie?? - figures... :D
- did I really need to include the word "bad"?

wonder where future ones will be held...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yup. The deed is done.

Ah, yes. The $1 Belgian Waffle. Oh yeah, and I had one of those really dorky felt hats with the feather plume. And...my mom saved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks