What's new

Whatever happened to Terry Malick? (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if he'll ever return? I heard somewhere he was interested in doing a biopic starring Benicio del Toro, but Judging by his last hiatus, he won't do a movie till 2025 or so.

Regards,
Nathan

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
As you pointed out, that's the trouble with Malick--he's a bit of a recluse and goes away for periods of time. We'll hear from him again when he's ready and not a minute sooner.

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, one hiatus after having his illusions of movie-making shattered.

He was credited as producer on Zhang Yimou's Happy Times (2000), and--last I heard--he was producing (obvious fan) David Gordon Greene's next movie, for which Malick also wrote the script.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As you pointed out, that's the trouble with Malick--he's a bit of a recluse and goes away for periods of time. We'll hear from him again when he's ready and not a minute sooner.
The last I knew he was a guest lecturer (or maybe visiting professor) at the University of Chicago.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I always thought of Terrence Malik as sort of like the American version of Stanley Kubrick in that he makes movies when he wants to and can go many years without actually making a movie. I totally respect him for that; to be able to do what you want when you want with no pressure from the studios.

My favorite Malick movie is Days of Heaven.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard in a few places he is thinking of doing a Che Guevara film with Benicio Del Toro. Thats what I have read in a few good film mags.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I knew he was born in NY and spent his formative years in the US, I was just curious if his parents were from the UK and hence he wasn't a US citizen. From what I've read it appears that he was a US citizen. (So in general terms an American)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I read somewhere that Malick was going to make a movie of Walker Percy's The Moviegoer starring Tim Robbins. Might have been just a rumor... :confused:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Wasn't Kubrick himself and American?
I guess it's how you look at it. If Kubrick can be considered an American then Bob Hope could be considered a Brit and so on. I've never considered Kubrick as being an American filmmaker, but that's just me. :)

(don't mean to derail this thread!)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed this over at ComingSoon as reported in Variety:

All emphasis mine.

I'm looking forward to both films.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
There's more news to add to the report that Chris posted. "The New World", the movie Malick plans to make with Colin Farrell, is going to be a live-action version of the Pocahontas story. Personally I would have preferred for him to make the Guevara story, which sounds like a better fit for his talents. Still, Malick fans should be glad they won't have to wait so long for a new movie this time.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I rather see FOX convince Malick to edit together an alternate cut of The Thin Red Line for a future DVD release.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got this mini-press release:

I just heard that Steven Soderbergh will be directing Che, which Malick was attached to until just recently. Good to know the director has such an interesting back-up plan.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
"Terrence Malick to remake Pocahontas."

Wow, you can color me surprised. Firstly, because the man is actually making a movie, and secondly, Pocahontas? What? :D

In any case, I'm elated. I don't care what he's directing, all I know is that I'll be in line to see it~

Regards,
Nathan

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Ugh, I was excited about Che, but now I could care less. Soderbergh is terrible. And Malick working with Colin Farrell? What is the world coming to?? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors