Whatever happened to T3 extended cut?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andy wells, Dec 26, 2005.

1. andy wells

andy wells Agent

Not sure if it may have been overlooked in my search, but wasn't there talk of an extended (directors cut) of Terminator 3 on DVD? Was it cancelled?

2. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Never heard anything about this, but I'd be interested in it as long as it isn't silly jokes or winks at the first two movies.

3. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I thought this was rumored... but nothing ever did surface. I'd be interested in seeing this.

4. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

What other scenes are known to be cut from the film? IMDB doesn't list anything. The only one I'm aware of is that stupid scene with Arnold as a military soldier with a southern accent posing as the model for the eventual T-800. I would definitely pass on any extended cut DVD if all it had was that stupid scene.

5. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

first of all they should fix the matting of the movie. it's just horrible what they did.
    the scene with arnold haden mentioned is a spoof and not an actual film scene [​IMG]

as for additional content: i've heard that some future war scenes would be added. but who knows what's really coming.

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    The theatrical cut is fine as it is, although a few more seconds of the newly arrived TX wouldn't hurt. [​IMG]

7. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

I considered buying the fullscreen version for the
    tx arrival scene (the widescreen cut alot of information out
    compared to the full screen)
    I might buy it still, its only 8 bucks on amazon

8. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Wow - d'ya know what? I was thinking about just this question the other day. Yes, when the first DVD came out there was definitely talk by the director of an uber-edition along the lines of the "Ultimate" T2 set.

Not sure what happened. Maybe they intend to boost the proposed T4 (and TV series?) with it.

JR

9. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I think Jonathan Mostow mentioned in an interview that something like T2: Ultimate would take a long time to do. Pretty much everyone else seems to think that he was cryptically talking about another edition of T3, but am I the only person who thought that he was merely thinking aloud and that a longer cut/special edition was never actually in the pipeline?

However, you can be guaranteed that another edition will surface if T4 appears, but until then I don't think we'll see another release.

10. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

From what I remember someone wrote more to the script after the face and there was talk about going to film, that footage like 3 months after the dvd release. I believe Dark Horizons had an article on it and supposdely it had some great action and staory that really made sense and connected well. I would say from the amount of money the 3rd one made there would be no way this stuff will be shot. I guess its possible with them making T4 in production right now.

11. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

this movie beeds a new cut to fill the gaping plotholes, that's for sure

12. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

13. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I just ran across T3 widescreen at circuit city for 4.99 yesterday! Had to pick it up for that price.

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I found a used copy for $1.99

Jacob

15. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Buy/Rent the video game, it has exclusive footage.

Features exclusive film footage created specifically for the release of the videogame and not available in the motion picture

[​IMG]

16. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Such as...?

17. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I am fairly sure that the released cut was the intended cut of the director.

Also, wasn't this one of the few films that looks better and wsa intended to be viewed in fullscreen? Are there a lot of movies like that?

Ryan

18. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Ryan,
    i'm fairly certain that T3 was intended to be seen in it's theatrical ratio of 2.35:1, there are countless compositions in that film that would be destroyed if open-matted.

19. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

The only so-called 'exclusive footage' contained on the game is the Sgt Candy scene. It was exclusive until the DVD featured it, but the tagline stills holds true..."not available IN the motion picture"

As for the P&S vs W/S debate...I find it a little ridiculous that anyone (who is normally pro-W/S) could argue for the P&S version. There are one or two awkwardly framed shots on the W/S, but the P&S is full of dead space at the bottom. It's clear to my eye at least that the W/S is superior, and intended.

P.S. When I saw T3 theatrically, it too had the bottle hitting an unseen ledge.

20. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yeah, I gave up too and picked T3 up in a twofer cheap. Was waiting for the dts version. Also gave up waiting on The Bourne Supremacy recently, was waiting for the same reason. Sometimes they jam "improved" releases close together, sometimes they don't. I haven't given up on Kill Bill yet, but my waiting thread is very thin... Don't want to duplicate my T2 madness (even though it *may* be my favorite movie ever, no accounting for taste).