Whatever Happened to Roy Scheider and Joe Pesci?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joey Gunz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

Whatever happened to.....

Roy Scheider? This guy is a very good actor. He made some terrific films in the 70's but he then kind of fell off the radar during the 90's (nevermind that "seaquest" show :p) ) to now. I caught him on cable a couple of times in some really bad, straight to videos movies (I forget the titles). He clearly wants to keep acting, but it seems his friends in Hollywood has forgotten him. [​IMG]

Joe Pesci? This guy just plain disappeared off the face of the earth. Another good actor who, when given good material to work with, can blow you away with his performance. I'm assuming he's retired at the moment.

There are many more well known actors who were either forced to retire because no quality roles were coming to them or relegated to making low budget, straight to video movies. Its kind of weird and sad to see a former oscar winner (or nominated) actor in a cheap, direct to video film.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Good call on Roy Scheider, an actor I've always liked.

He'd be the perfect guy for a new Tarantino-induced resurgance. [​IMG]

Pesci? The guy can be damn good in small doses but I've always seen him as somewhat "one note". Yes, he gave an excellent performance in Goodfellas and worked the "annoying comic relief" well in some of the Lethal Weapon flicks...but that's about it. His turn in My Cousin Vinny never did much for me.

Oh, and Gone Fishin' was robbed at the Oscars. [​IMG]

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I think he did real good in Home Alone & Home Alone 2. BUt you're right, 5 years now since his last movie LW4.

Roy Scheider, on the other hand has been and continues to work steady, look at IMDB, just nothing seems to really be a hit for him.

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    On a similar subject - does it bother you when people use the term 'washed-up'? (thankfully it hasn't been used in this thread yet).

It tends to annoy me when some who works at an office, or a working class shmoe, jokes about certain actors being washed up, when they themselves have never even been to the beach, so to speak. These 'washed up' actors are probably making more money than the office worker does.

Anyway, back to the subject. (that was for you, David Hasselhoff)

5. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think he was kinda type cast after Jaws. Thats when things started to taper off though he did do All That Jazz which was great.

Joe Pesci on the other hand is like Danny DeVito, kinda plays the same type of role every time.

There are very few actors or actresses that still get work as they get older. A few like DeNiro and Streep always do but the list of older Actors not working is very long.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

over here in the UK, he did a commercial for Orange Photo Messaging that was hilarious

[​IMG]

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Ack, good call Damin. How'd I forget Pesci in Raging Bull??

10. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

12. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    havent seen them online anywhere. They have only been shown in UK cinemas I think and not on TV. Apparently theres one with Spike Lee and Alan Cumming though I havent seen these.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

In the 90's I was pleasantly surprised to see Roy Scheider in a wonderful and underrated movie called Romeo is Bleeding starring Gary Oldman and Lena Olin. Great flick.

14. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

According to the IMDb, Roy Scheider's next two films are "Wes Craven's Presents" Dracula II: Ascension & Dracula III: Legacy, their both direct-to-video films.

I'll have to check out Romeo is Bleeding sometimes. It sounds like it has a good cast.

15. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Keep in mind that a lot of these actors choose to do theater as opposed to movies. Many do summer stock and off-Broadway stuff until a movie comes along that they really like or they are in need of cash. I don't think actors like Pesci or Scheider just quit working or don't get offered a lot of roles. Elderly actors are a different issue though. Ed Asner once did an interview in which he complained of not getting any roles at all. I think his last feature film of any consequence was "Hard Rain" and then he was only in it for about 5-10 minutes. Robert Duvall would be classified as elderly though and still is seen in quite a few recent movies.

16. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I think Pesci is currently pursuing a singing career.

17. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Information on upcoming films featuring Mr. Scheider can be found here.

I would consider Mr. Pesci to be a "character actor". In the past two or so decades many of these types of performers have been foisted on the public as leading men/women. They therefore have shorter careers because they are not what they are portrayed to be. They simply don't have staying power.

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

With the recent announcement of Bobby De Niro's cancer, it reminded me that Joe Pesci has fallen off the planet. Does anyone know if his abscence is health related, or just a decision to get out of the business?

It seems odd, the man was in nearly every movie made during the 1990's -- He seemed to appear in an average of two major blockbuster style films every year since he was in Lethal Weapon 2 in 1989.

But, I think the last movie he was in was Lethal Weapon 4 in 1998-- which was 5 years ago. I don't recall any talk at the time that he planned to take time off...

Anyone know where he went to?

-Vince

19. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Sorry, missed the first one as Joe's name was not in the subject. Although neither one really supplied any good answer.

-V