What's new

What you would buy... (1 Viewer)

Nate Haley

Agent
Hey,

I'm a newbie putting together a modest Home Theater system (~$3500 excluding TV).

I want to spend about $500 on a Reciever...any reccomendations???

thanks

MikeLobos

Grip
Nate,

You should look at the Marantz 5200, Denon 1802, Okyo 595 and Yamaha. These are all good receivers around $500. I just bought the 1802 and could not be more happy with it.

MikeLobos

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up a Marantz SR6200 and I am very happy with it. The 5200 has a little less power but is also a very good sounding receiver for around that price. Onkyo 595 and Denon 1802 are good recommendations also. Best thing to do is go listen to as many of them as you can with your own music.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Nate...

I would really advise you to spend a little more on the receiver and get a 2802... That way you get the 6.1 channels, 8x96/24 DACs, more power, all the latest formats and room to grow. Spend as much money on the Front L/R speakers as possible, get a good sub, spend the left overs on Center channel and Surround Speakers.

I say start off with a 5.1 system, maybe in a few months to a year when more thx ex/dts es titles are available, upgrade your system by buying moving either the center channel or the surround speakers to the surround back channel, and filling in the blank with something better, this is why you didn't spend that much money on either the center or the surround speakers to begin with, you were gonna move them to the surround back channel anyhow.

I might go something like this:

Denon 2802 ~ $600

B&W DM 603 ~ $1000 x 2 Mains

B&W DM 601 ~ $ 400 x 2 Surrounds

B&W DM CC6 ~ $ 350 x 1 Center

or maybe a similar package from Definitve Technologies

Velodyne, SVS, or Sunfire Sub $800~1000

Total ~ $3150-$3350

get good cables with the left over money.

In a year or so, move the 601s and get 602s for the surrounds... or leave the 601s in place, move the cc6 to the back and get a CDM CNT for the center. I just think these speakers fit this receiver. I'd say that in terms of speakers anything better than these might be a little too revealing and you wouldn't be getting the most out of them.

Nate Haley

Agent
Thanks for all the advice, I'm going tonight to listen to the Denon 2802 and if I like it, I found it online for $575.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Nate-Dog,

Make sure that great deal on the 2802 is from an authorized dealer (if you care, that is..) otherwise, if you have a problem you'll be up the creek. Denon has stiff rules against unauthorized purchases.. Denon recently updated their policy on their web site. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks