What's new

What year is this again? (New Who & Meatloaf) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So I've given the new Who and Meatloaf albums one listen each. I'm really digging the Who disc -- yeah, it's a bit weird to be calling them "The Who" at this point, but the music fits. Mostly acoustic instrumentation, but the songs and performances are fairly aggressive. Good stuff.

The Meat platter will require a few more listens. The music isn't bad, but his voice ain't what it used to be. Once again, there are a few repeat tracks from Bad For Good (Jim Steinman's solo album from '79). Plus there's a rendition of Steinman's "It's All Coming Back To Me Now," as made popular by Celine Dion. :)

What do y'all think?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i plan to pick up the new disk from "the who" (should really call them townshend and daltrey now). i've heard mostly positive things about it so far.

CJ

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've listened to The Who. Not really a big Meatloaf fan.

That first song made me cringe, trying to channel "Baba O'Reily" and basically jsut failing. Daltry sounded blown out.

It got better though, and I liked the mini-opera. Not the best Who record, but far from terrible. "We got A Hit" and "Endless Wire" are both pretty fine songs.

Manus

Second Unit
Cant wait to hear this for myself , my 2-discer hasnt even been posted yet :frowning:

I liked that original Jim Steinman album but I may just leave Meat on my Wishlist cos I must have the Beatles Dvd-A ......must hav...must.....UUUUuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:D

~M~

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am surprised with all the songs Steinman had for hits for other artists that Meat ended up covering (Left In The Dark, It's All Coming Back To Me Now, etc...) that Meat hasn't yet covered Total Eclipse Of The Heart, which is probably the biggest hit Steinman created.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I liked it. Sure, that keyboard vamp was cribbed directly from Baba, but the song was otherwise different.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'd be curious to see what they do with it live. Daltrys voice was just off to me on the album, it just sounded tired. The song itself I think is a decent song, just not a good performance. I'll have to listen to it again.

"We Have A Hit" is really sticking with me, and deserves to be a genuine hit song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks