What's new

what xover and eq are you guys using with your passive subs? (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
the bfd seems to be the eq to use and i was surprise that it can be had for around 150. by the description i thought it would be something around 5 to 10 bills. Anyways i don't think it includes an xover so what xover are u guys using and also is there a single device that a has xover and parametric eq (doesn't have to be as flexible as the bfd).

Julian Data

Second Unit
Konrad:
Dont forget some PRO amps have a LP.
I have used the BFD with great success and have upgraded to the Rane. I am not worried about the XO chore since the B&K 307 has the management for that area.
------------------

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I use Rane also for the XO, and my EQ is an older dbx 1/3 octave RTA unit. This is fine for my LEDE (live end/dead end) room, but isn't adequate for a typical room, which needs a parametric unit.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I've had good results with the BFD and the Mirage LFX3 crossover. The LFX3 is a 3 channel crossover with variable slopes and the ability to use up to three subs.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
it's too bad the BFD does not include an adjustable (12db or 24db per octave and sau 15-18-20-22-25hz for instance ) subsonic filter.
Unless you have a subsonic filter on the power amps, we pretty much are forced to use an external one which means two gears between the processor/receiver and the power amp feeding the subwoofer.
Still searching for the right solution.
crazy.gif

------------------
digitalsurround.gif

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm using AudioControl EQs and crossover. Instead of using the receiver’s sub out, I send the pre- L/R outs to a pair of C-131 1/3 octave equalizers. The C-131’s have sub-sonic filters that can be switched to Off, 15Hz, 25hz or 35Hz. From there the signal goes to a PCA III, which has 24dB/octave slopes with Linkwitz-Riley filters. Separate amps feed the L/R speakers and subs.
The 1/3 octave EQs don’t do as precise a job at bass as a parametric EQ, but they did allow me to make more adjustments on the main L/R speakers than I could have made with a parametric.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

John Morris

I am upgrading my system and originally bought a AudioControl Rialto and a Symetrix 551E for EQ and crossover. Then I found an LFX-3 crossover for a song. I happen to own all Mirage M-si speakers, so this crossover offered a nice match for them. Still, I am yet to get a subwoofer so the happiness of this match is unknown. Stephen, any idea how the LFX-3 would work with a symetrix 551e parametric to remove the problems?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
------------------
DTCP, DFAST, 5C, DVI, and HDCP smell like DIVX!!!

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
John,
The LFX three should work very well with the Symetrix. The ability to provide slightly different responses for the both the low pass and high pass is handy.
It takes a bit of fiddling, but the changes are audible and measurable.
I use mine in stereo mode, and it is great, although I wish it has balanced outs to make hookup to the BFD easier.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks