What would you suggest I upgrade first?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ToddP, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Pioneer Elite pro530-hd last night. I decided to go with the 530 over the 630 because, a. it was in stock, and b. I saved money. Now, as I wait to set up delivery for my new tv (I'm very excited), I ponder what I should do with my $700 savings. I would actually prefer not to drop all $700 on a new component, but probably would if it was worth it.

This is my current(new) setup:

TV: Pioneer Elite PRO530-HD
    DirecTV: Phillips DSR7000R/17
    Receiver: JVC RX-884V
    DVD: Pioneer DV-C302D
    CD: JVC XL-MC334
    Front: Infinity IL40
    Center: Infinity CC-3
    Rear: Infinity IL10
    Sub: Infinity IL100s

I'm leaning toward a new reciever (considering just sticking with the Pioneer Elite line), but obviously I am open to/looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Looking at your equipment list I see the following these I would start thinking about upgrading. Each persons upgrade path is different...

Reciever
    Subwoofer
    DVD player
    Cd player

I would start off by considering the Denon 3803, Pioneer Elite then the new Yamaha series. At that point, it will be up to you and your preferences to chose which reciever is best for you.

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I say subwoofer!

For $700 you can make a dramatic impact on your HT with an upscale sub... at that price point, look at the online leaders: SVS, Hsu, Adire.

I wouldn't consider a new receiver at less than $700, unless your JVC is so old it doesn't have basic DD / DTS.

Splitting that $700 among 2 or 3 other components won't likely yield much of an improvement over your existing rig.

Happy hunting.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Todd, does that new TV come with an internal HD tuner? If not you might want to put that money into a DirecTV/OTA HD tuner.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - in your particular setup, I would say sub if you are unhappy with your current one or amp section (+ some additional cash) to at least start the upgrade to separates.

And like what the guy above said - you should not split up that $700 as it will most likely not yield any dramatic improvements over your current setup.

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Todd,

If you are not eagerly chasing 7:1, etc, and are looking for a truly well built integrated amp with DD and DTS, then I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 coming up for sale very soon. I was looking to price it a little below your TV savings of $700.
    It is near mint and the very stylish Champagne finish. This integrated amp is a true classic.

BOK

7. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I definitely didn't plan on splitting up my savings into multiple components. I know that what I already have is as good as anything that I could get for $300.

Lew - I do want to pick up an HD receiver at some point, however, I think I want to wait until the HD/Tivo receivers come out next year.

Brian - Thanks for the offer, but I think that if I do upgrade my receiver I will probably want something that is 7.1 capable for the future. I don't want to longing for another new one in 2 or 3 years. On a related note though, it appears that you are very happy with your Yamaha, and I have read other posters singing the praises of Yamaha as well. When I was younger (early '90s) I had a Yamaha that I was not very happy with, and I swore I would never own another one. In your opinion, are they really putting out a high quality product now that can compete with Denon/Marantz/Pioneer Elite?

Ernest - Seperates is something that I am very uninformed about. Is there somewhere that you could direct me where I could start to educate myself a bit more on an amp setup? I'm not very technically sound, but I can tell the difference between what looks/sounds good and what doesn't, and I learn quickly. I would love work toward running my system off seperate amps, but need to become more informed in that area before I can even think about it. Thanks.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd have to agree with Shane on this one, in the same order:

Reciever
    Subwoofer
    DVD player
    Cd player

The Interludes are pretty decent, and if you are happy with them, there's no reason to focus on a speaker upgrade right now.

Separates (pre/pro and amp) is the way to go, but it is also much more expensive, unless you consider looking used. You can find some great deals on used processors and amps. New, you would be looking at likely no less than $1500.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

why don't you wait till your tv gets in and you enjoy it for a week or two with everything hooked up? then maybe you can share your room dimensions, what you like, don't like, what your plans are for down the road.