What would you recommed?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Loreni, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Loreni

Loreni Extra

Id like to have HTPC and the PC will be used for all multimedia stuff-music, games and movies.So i was wondering whats the best option:

games:analog soundcard(audigy2) to external receiver.
    movies+music: bit-perfect sound card(Revolution7.1) to receiver via SPDIF.

games:soundstorm (digitaly) connected to receiver->using Dolby Digital Live.
    movies+music: bit-perfect sound card(Revolution7.1) to receiver via SPDIF.

In second option id need a receiver with 2 SPDIF inputs.Id have 5.1 system of course.Its sometimes hard to think of the best idea because of compatibility.
    So which one would you choose?Do you have any other ideas?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Tough call. Thought about using the Revo's analog output for games? I know it takes up more CPU cycles than an Audigy but it works.

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I have a Revo 7.1 and its totally killer for games. Wouldnt trade it for any Creative junk mainly cause their drivers suck really bad.

Also Nvidia soundstorm is very good, its the only onboard audio that can do 5.1 from hardware and not software.

4. Loreni

Loreni Extra

"I have a Revo 7.1 and its totally killer for games. Wouldnt trade it for any Creative junk mainly cause their drivers suck really bad."

Did you mean Revo in analog mode??Cause i already have Revo7.1 and its strange in games->sound is concentrated in center and other channels are...anyway 3d sound is poor compared to audigy2, but i think my revo is not working properly.I agree with you about creatives sound cards.I think i wont miss EAX3.0, cause 3D sound is the one that matters in games.After all EAX2.0 is fine too.

"Thought about using the Revo's analog output for games? I know it takes up more CPU cycles than an Audigy but it works."
    No that aint a problem at all->i already have good CPU and Ill soon buy a new one, but im just not sure which option is the best, since you can have 3D sound in games in many ways.How do you guys use it(3d sound in games)?

So if my Revo is broken and i get new one, i might get rid of A2, so the only question left is using Soundstorm for games or not.
    I somehow do hope my revo is broken cause...its really acting strange right now.

5. Ashley-_-C

Ashley-_-C Auditioning

What type of reciever were you planning on using?

the creative dts-100 (under: speakers/decoders on their site) does the job at alot cheaper then normal HT recievers, I'm thinking of getting one and running my dvd player, ps2, and pc though it, then getting some 5.1 speakers with an in built amp. What do you guys think?

6. Loreni

Loreni Extra

Yes Creatives decoder is a simple and cheap receiver.The problem is it has no amp inside, so if you wont buy a receiver with a bulit-in amp, youll have to buy one stnad alone amp which will cost you much.
    Im thinking of NAD receiver.Specialy because there will be good speakers on it.