What would you pay for a limited release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Alden, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Lets say some company, similar to Rhino Handmade or Hippo Select, was formed for the DVD market. They would release cult shows with a small following in limited quantities. Maybe a pressing of 2,500 or so. But they would have to charge a much higher price to cover the cost of authoring, licensing, etc. Would you pay $100? $200? Just from monitoring the posts on this board it seems to me that the vast majority of people the are on here are rather novice TV collectors. For those of us who spent time in the hobby when you might have to buy a 16mm print of ONE episode of a show for anywhere between $25 and $150 (not to mention the cost to transfer it to tape), $200 for a complete series of a rare show is a pittance. Hell, $200 used to be the cost of a box of 10 blank tapes (which would be what, $500 in today's money?).

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Honest to god, I can't think of a single TV show (series or season) I would pay $100 or $200 for. Because I and most other people are on an budget, that money could be spent on X number of movies or X number of other TV shows. I don't think any show is worth that much...cult, rare or anything.

Plus, I don't think this is a viable model because it relies solely on pre-orders and, theoretically, the internet word-of-mouth. For the people who don't frequent places like HTF and just look in stores for what they want (my BF included), they'd never find the show. If the show was that rare, I'd guess some older folks would be interested. However, if they don't know it's there, they can't buy it. Thus, lost sales.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Aren't all releases limited already?

The only show I'd pay a premium for at this point is the 1966 Batman, and even that isn't necessary. When Disney is releasing the likes of its Treasures series (which are pricier than most), what more obscure gems from TV's past would warrant such a huge price tag? It's just one more way for studios to gouge the customer. "Limited Release! Only xxx,xxx copies! Get yours for just $1,000 each!"

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone release done like this at one point? I remember seing the listing on tvshowsondvd that had a complete series listing that was done by a "press on demand" company. This might be viable, but there's still a minimum committment to create the original masters. What I can see as more likely is something spinning off of the plans to provide free TV over the internet (mentioned a few months ago), and then a deal where you can buy DVDs of these shows created on demand.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

You're thinking of the "Gold Collection" that "MediaRacer" did. Basically they sub-licensed the material from Image to create the complete series for $400. They were going to use DVD-R, but they ended up pressing the set instead. There were 2,500 sets made, though the project bombed, the company went out of business, and a liquidator was selling them on eBay for a year afterwards.

This was a bit different than a normal limited release since they were using existing material (stuff already transferred, and music that was already licensed).

Gord

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I would certainly pay a premium price for WKRP in Cincinnati with all music intact. And while I would also pay quite a bit for a fully restored It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I can't think of any tv shows besides WKRP that I'd want that badly.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I believe everyone has a tv show that they'd pay a premium price to have intact. Mine is Dynasty, but if all 9 seasons of that show came out commercially, and in season sets, I'm sure I'd end up paying a heckuva lot more than $200 for it...! As far as tv dvds go, there's nothing truly so obscure or rare that I'd pay a PREMIUM price to own. As is stands, about half the shows on my particular all-time want list are actually being produced (I Love Lucy, Jeffersons, Dynasty, Buffy, etc).

Collecting tv on dvd isn't that scary because there are always quite a few obscure shows that I never thought we'd see, that are actually being produced (Grosse Pointe, Wild Palms, etc). The future brings many surprises as well. To make limited pressings of any particular show is a kind of desperate act, and I am a patient enough man to wait and see what is made available commercially over time. Who would have thought, a couple years ago, that "Here Come the Brides" would ever be put on dvd? Yet it will be.

The only shows that could benefit from the limited pressings that you suggest would be shows that you do not traditionally find in stores. As I see it, the kinds of shows that come out on dvd are:

A) Classic shows that are still big hits (I Love Lucy, Star Trek, Cheers)
    B) Shorter-running shows that have good, loyal cult followings (Twin Peaks, Eerie Indiana)
    C) Current shows that are popular (Desperate Housewives, Survivor, Lost, etc)

In another words, pretty much ANY primetime comedy, drama or reality series could make the above 3 categories, and is therefore eligible to be seen on dvd eventually. Long-running shows usually end up remaining popular decades after their runs...and if seeing is believing, most shorter-run shows wind up with a cult following. I read these boards often enough to know that yes, there are people out there who would buy "Quark" or "Pasadena" on dvd, if they were made available. It's all good; every show has its fans.
    So any "limited pressings" or "made to order" tv dvds would not be shows that could potentially be on the above lists. That leaves us with such untraditional tv dvd series fare as:

1) News or documentary programs
    2) Talk shows (either nighttime shows with celebrity guests, or daytime shows with tacky guests LOL)
    3) Daytime soaps
    4) Game shows

So really, the only shows that should have limited or made-to-order pressings are the kinds of shows that are unlikely to ever be released commercially. The shows in the the latter 3 categories are usually daily tv shows with too many episodes to consider for dvd. All in these categories have had "best of" or sampler dvds already, but season sets seem out of the question (How could you make a season set of say, "All My Children?" when a season is about 250 episodes?) Yet, there are those who would buy it.

8. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

I could be tempted to pay an inordinate sum for a complete "The Larry Sanders Show" series set. So if anybody at Sony is reading this, my inordinate sum can be yours!

9. LindseyS

LindseyS Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the entire series of Edgemont for $100, which was 10 discs and 70 episodes. I didn't find the price too extravagant, and that was a limited release sold only on the website.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

It starts and ends for me in the same place it starts and ends with George. WKRP in Cincinnati, full music in tact.

11. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

I would pay an extremely high price for the entire Batman (1966) series on DVD. That's it.