What's new

What would you like to see us cover at CEDIA 2009? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If there is any specific manufacturer and product that you
would like to see us cover this year while out at Cedia, please
provide us with a request.

Thank You

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I would like to see any LCDs with local LED dimming (Toshiba, LG, Sony and Samsung will probably have models). I would be especially interested in any of them in smaller sizes like 37 to 42. I have also heard rumors that Panasonic may be announcing some new plasmas with built in 3D technology (like we saw at the last LA meet). I would be REALLY interested in those if they are there.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Didn't see a Microsoft thread or would put this there, but friend to HTF Kevin Collins Rocks out at Cedia:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/09/live-from-the-microsoft-windows-media-center-event2/#continued

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Any way you guys can cover some of the screen companies that are there? I see you have news from Stewart and that's great. I know SMX has a new screen coming out. Anyone else there that you can visit? Maybe it's too late?

bmackrell

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill MacKrell
Would love to get your impression of the TRIAD demo room they built. I have a TRIAD system in my theater and thinking about upgrading to their new subwoofers.

Regards,

BillMac

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SAVANT video goes up today. We will be hitting TRIAD
and SMX tomorrow as well as a Microsoft Media Center
demo from Kevin Collins.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last chance to get your requests in.

pacman

Auditioning
Real Name
James Paquin
Hi

I would love to see some videos of colorado vnet, I know they made there booth smaller this year but have over 50 new product realeases. Straight out of the box the product looks great. I expect big things from this company.

James Paquin
House Talk Ltd

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Microsoft has been rescheduled for today (Sunday) for Ron's pod cast, Sam. We've all been in touch with them through Kevin Collins and were at the Press Conference that you referenced earlier. As soon as Windows 7 hits the street in a final version (October 23) I will be setting up a new Win7/FIOS whole house server to replace my Dish and FIOS DVR networks with something easier and more capable. It will be similar to what we saw previewed at the Zune lounge in L.A. at the HTF meet. I'll be documenting the process as is evolves in the appropriate TV hardware or DVR section, probably starting around November if things go on schedule.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cool. I'm running Win7 final code now on my pc boxes at home so I'm sure you will dig it in the big sense, but I havent used the media center features once.... All my media is on the Macs...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I subscribe to both Dish Network and FIOS TV services in my home (Dish has stubbornly refused to carry the YES Network even as a premium service!) and I am discovering more and more that the supposed "superiority" in HD content from Dish has a bit of a dark side to it. There are a whole bunch of channels in HD on FIOS that are only offered by Dish in SD. Things like our NY local Channel 9 (which carries Yankee games when not on YES) and, surprisingly, PBS which has some great content. Also some of the Premium packages (like Showtime) have more HD content on FIOS than on Dish. I could go on and on as I'm discovering more such disparities almost weekly. Dish people at CEDIA claimed that they have plenty of bandwidth available so I can only conclude that this is a monetary consideration and it takes the wind out of the sails regarding Dish's King of the HD Hill claims. The bottom line and not accommodating the customer seems to guide their policies while they claim otherwise.

Another factor in my desire to move everything over to FIOS is the realization that my Dish signal is beginning to weaken because of trees (not mine and not owned by cooperative neighbors) starting to block the path to the satellites. When that signal goes, so does any chance of staying with Dish. Both services offer an excellent picture and generally excellent sound (although some Dish stations can produce funky sound at times which they blame on the source that they are dealing with) so that's neither a deal maker or a deal breaker for me. One area where Dish has a CLEAR ADVANTAGE over FIOS is in the quality and usability of their DVRs. The Dish 722 is so superior to my FIOS Motorola HD DVR that it's laughable. The only solution at this point would have been to get a Tivo for FIOS and all the expense that entails. Anyone who has seen the Dish 722 and the FIOS Motorola knows what I'm talking about.

The Win7 approach (see the Kevin Collins Video casts now up in this section) levels the playing field. Not only do FIOS and DISH under Win7 Media Center share a common interface which in many ways is superior to the Dish 722 and Tivo menus but the whole house control and access to content and recordings makes it easy to switch ALL my sources over to FIOS. And I can, if I wish, even add OTA and selected cable content to the mix by just adding another cable card or other content capture device.

Finally, even all your Media on your Macs can be part of the network. As long as you use windows media center media extenders (there's a use for your XBox 360!) to interface with your televisions, the Win7 menu system doesn't care what IP device the content comes from. So this isn't a PC vs. Mac situation. It's a means of bringing everything together in one (or more) locations to be accessed and displayed from a uniform menu and scheduling system.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry, you misunderstood me! I DO use my PS3 and Xbox as Media front ends. I'm looking to add a couple Apple TVs too now that the prices are dropping. What I don't do on a regular basis is run the full blown Media Center on my Windows PCs. I have the capability just not the need....

bmackrell

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill MacKrell
Did you ever get a chance to visit the Triad floating room demo? if so video forthcoming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks