What would you guys rate an Apex compared to other DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jul 17, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have an Apex AD-1500, which I think the movies look real good when played. It's also cool that I can play DVDs from other regions, though I have yet to get a non-NTSC disc. The only other player I've seen my discs played on, is a Magnavox at my friend's house. He has a 27 inch TV, and I have a 72 inch, so I can't really compare the quality of the playback of the discs on memory alone. So how does an Apex compare to like Sony, Philips, Panasonic, and all the other players?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

honeslty Apex is pretty much near the bottom with regard to image quality.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stephen, I agree with Andrew. APEX is at the bottom of the pack in all respects. Sorry to be blunt.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, the bottom isn't that far from the top either and if you don't have larger then a 30", the slight washed out color and lack of sharpness will barely be noticeable. It fits the bill for thousands of people.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Adil, I respectfully disagree. I feel the difference in picture quality between an APEX player and budget model from mainstream companies can be readily noticed, even on modest TVs. Of course, most people who buy APEX players probably don't do the comparison. They most likely buy on price alone. Most stores that sell APEX players in my experience don't make it easy for the customer to compare players.

6. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I have an Apex. I've had it for 2 years. It works perfectly. But, since I've only looked at one other brand on my own TV set, I can't really argue with the esteemed gentlemen above.

The "feature" set, however, is undeniable.

7. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Most of the time you get what you pay for in image quality. But I know of allot people that have a good Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc player for there R1 NTSC DVD's and a Apex, Daewoo for R2-6, PAL, VCD, SVCD, MP3 playback.

8. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

During the short time they demoed DVD players at CC, I had the Panasonic RV32, the Sony 315, and the Apex DVD player hooked up w/ the same demo dvd on 3 different 27" Proscan tv's. The best sellers were the Apex and the Panasonic (best looking) based on price considerations. The Apex is not a god-awful player. I still want to compare it to a PS2.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Norm, I'll give you the feature set on APEX players, but that's all. The APEX '7701 looked very promising, but it's an APEX.

10. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I have an Apex AD-600A. The image quality is very mediocre. It has a bazillion features.

I watch 99% of my movies on my Panasonic RP91 though.