What would you do????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MichaellTaylor, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MichaellTaylor

MichaellTaylor Auditioning

I am having to use in ceiling speakers for my surround sound system. I have a budget to work around. The question is would you take the money you have and buy the system (fronts,reats,cc) you can afford or just buy the best fronts? Then later on buy the center chanel then rears? It might take 6 months before getting the the rears or centeral channel (I have a centeral channel now I can use and a sub). I am stuck on what to do.

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Unless you are really into multichannel music (DVD-A, SACD, DTS), mostly you get whooshes and bangs and reverb out of the rear speakers. To me that is much less important that good front (Left, Right, AND Center) ... Center if movies are important, L and R if 2-channel music is important.

Me, I'd go for the best front speakers I could. Then the best center. Then the best rears.

But my priorities may differ from yours.

3. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

I agree with Elinor. I have taken my time purchasing my speakers and found I have eliminated the WHAT IF question. Doesn't mean I won't change my mind down the road but I have the speakers that I enjoy and have no regrets putting the money I have in them. I also feel the main speakers are the most important speakers if you are using system for music and movies so it's worth the investment in good mains. However as Elinor pointed out people are different and this may not appeal to you. Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Travis

4. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    I strongly support a plan of attack like suggested rather than compromising the entire system. If you can't get the L, C & R in the first purchase, at least be certain to choose your L & R based on your intended matching center channel. There are plenty of very affordable in-ceiling speakers for surrounds. Are you planning on using in-ceiling for your front LCR as well? IMO, Triad makes the best solution for this application, albeit more expensive. I used the IC Omni-Gold's in my parent's home. I would also consider if you can instead do in wall vs. ceiling for the front LCR?