What would you do?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tod Golden, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a budget of $200 to purchase a DVD player. I would like to get a player that also does DVD-A and/or SACD. Since I consider my home theater system middle of the road, I find it hard to justify spending anything higher.

My system components are a Pio VSX810 receiver, RCA HD61W140 RPTV, JVC XV-M567 DVD (non ps) JBL HLS610 F & R, Sony center and sub (future upgrade).

Given these guidelines, what would be your choice for a DVD player?

Thanks in advance for your input - Tod

PS - In case you were wondering, I am considering the Pioneer 563A. But I would like to get some opinions from the regulars and others on this forum.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Pioneer DV-563a

3. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

Tod,
    I am much more of a HT buff, than Audio Buff, but I would recommend you buy the player from someplace that you can return it.

I upgraded receiver from a Sony 30ES to a Sony 4ES, mostly for the 7.1 features of the 4ES, but also because the 4ES had the 5.1 inputs I could use with my Toshiba 4800 DVD-Audio player.

Anyway....long story short, I was pretty non-impressed with DVD audio. It didn't have nearly the 'wow' factor I was expecting. I ended up selling the 4800 to a co-worker for $30 when I upgraded my DVD players.

Not saying it's a bad idea...but just make sure you can return it for something else....just in case.

All that said...I agree with you and Dan. The Pioneer 563. Although you might also consider a Toshiba 4900. For DVD playing, I'd put my money on the 4900 for a better picture.

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. I just might have to head to the local Audio King and see what else they have to offer. I just might have to increase that budget a bit.

Tod

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Or maybe you better head over to your local Ultimate Electronics, since the Audio King name has just been retired!