What would you do with this situation?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Kr, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Ok
    So I have now came into 2 brand new monster brand 3 channel amps that retail for 6k. The question is I am working on a media room in our basement hoping to complete this winter before our 4th child is due. Would you keep the amps(they are awesome) knowing tho you will still have to buy a preamp and speakers, screen, and projector or sell the amps to my friend where in turn I will get a enough to purchase deonon avr 3805, a pair of def tech 7002, the matching powered center, and 4 rears, as well as getting a like new draper 106 screen, basically leaving with just the projector to buy?

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

sell em.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Sell them, but I'm not sure what the market for them is...if you're friend is willing to buy them, then all the power to you.

4. MartybenSchmuel

If money is NOT a problem in the long run (3-5 years) then keep the amps and upgrade slowly with other components. The sound and picture will be worth it. Remember, the resale value on good stuff allows you to upgrade with fairly modest infusions of cash. I've always found it hard to move downward in the "quality of sound" arena. If, however, you don't feel that you'll be able to devote time to your tunes & movies, sell the amps and get the less expensive stuff. It's still pretty good.
    Marty T.

5. JasonMan

JasonMan Extra

Giving an opinion is tough without knowing what your current audio setup is (are these amps WAAAAY better than the supporting cast) and your financial situation.

Even though it is giving an opinion is tough, I will try my best to struggle through the complexities and cosmic ramifications. I would say ............. sell, but that's just me. [​IMG]

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

sell...

7. Kevin_Kr

Finances are not bad, but doing this allows me to invest more in the room. I have n other equipment for this system as it would be a new system.

8. MartybenSchmuel

The question still remains...how do you feel about the quality of the sound and how immersed are you in audiophilia? If you are just getting started in this room then I'd go for the system you mentioned. Receivers are getting very sophisticated and will give you much enjoyment. You can always upgrade AFTER the four college tuitions are paid!! Denon and DefTech are very good choices. I have owned both and have passed them along to my kids. They are still operating and giving great pleasure.
    Marty

9. Kevin_Kr

The quality of sound is of some importance, I am not an audiophile, just liek to watch movies for the most part.

10. MartybenSchmuel

Go for it!! Sell 'em!! Enjoy!!

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Id sell em. you can always save up for new ones later on if you still have the desire to upgrade to that level.