What Would You Do?: Traveling Presentation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BarryR, Apr 15, 2005.

1. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Given the enormous choices out there, I need to toss this question to any available experts!

I frequently show DVD presentations at libraries, most of which have nice a/v setups. However, there are times I'm in a non-a/v environment, stuck with a player and a 13" TV for a large room. Not good. How then would this seem as a "travel kit." :

InFocus X2 DLP projector
    Da-Lite Deluxe Insta-Theater Portable Projection Screen

The above totals to approximately $1,500. Any suggested alternatives? Also, another question: sound. I'm somewhat ignorant about this--the video projector I listed has a little speaker, and I'm wondering how would one expand on this, within reason, with some "travel speakers"? Or is this necessary for most presentations?

Thanks alot for any input!!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Get the brightest projector possible, IMO.

For speakers, you can probably get some self-powered multimedia speakers (pretty much computer speakers) that will do just fine for most presentations like this.

I don't know what you are showing, so I'm assuming the sound quality isn't a big deal, you're not showing like movies or such probably, just education videos with narration most likely?

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'll be showing documentaries I've made myself, which are done with careful attention to sound quality. Thanks for the multimedia speaker suggestion!

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I would go for portability if trips are by plane. The projector as described above, two consumer computer grade speakers, a bed sheet for a screen(!) (The client can provide a better screen, amp., and speakers if desired). You may get by with less amplifier power with the speakers facing in opposite directions in the middle of the audience and the audience may hear better.

I think you can choose equipment as I described that will all fit into a 9x14x22 inch container which most airlines consider the maximum permissible carry on.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Thanks for your response. In this case flying isn't an issue; I'd be driving to places where there's >nothing< save an electrical outlet. That's why I think a quality set-up screen would help, since some places are devoid of anything a/v. Sometimes I'm not even too happy about what certain libraries offer, or other places with their own gear. I like the idea of having a standard, consistent level of presentation I can rely on wherever I go.