What's new

What would you do? (re: buying display rptv) (1 Viewer)

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I know it seems really sketchy to buy a display rptv but now the situation I'm in is making me rethink my position....
Some of you know about my ongoing ordeal of trying to find a decent 32" direct view HD ready set. Basically they all have something that I'm don't really like and it seems like a lot of money to buy something that doesn't make me completely happy. I've gone through two sets so far, a Samsung and a Panasonic, and I have a Sony on order. The Sony will cost $1400 delivered with no warranty, so it'll be around $1700 with a 5 year plan.
Anyway, on to the RPTV situation. I have the option of either buying the Sony 32" direct view for $1700 with the warranty or a Panasonic 47" widescreen (pt47wx51)rptv for $1500 with a 5 year warranty. The Panasonic is a display model but it has only been on display for about a month. The display model would be from Tweeter so the sets are turned down from torch mode when they are put on the floor and there are movies playing on the constantly. Normally I wouldn't even consider buying this TV but I figure as long as there's no burn in or physical defects everything else should be covered by the warranty, right? Am I missing any major problems that could arise and not be covered because it's a display model? I would much rather get the Panny because of the size, aspect ratio, etc. but I really don't want to end up regretting my decision so I figured I'd ask the experts and see what you thought. Buying this TV has been more difficult and time consuming than buying my car, at least it's more fun than a HYundai :D.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would under no circumstances purchase a floor model. And I don't care if the sales staff says it wasn't in torch mode. How do you know that it hasn't been used that way.

When it comes to TVs, get something that's fresh out of the box. And you are never going to find a display that satisfies every single requirement or preference; all consumer sets involve design compromises to make them affordable.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
you can get a panasonic 47wx42 (new model) for $1510 shpiped from onecall. That model is older (the floor) and this one is NEW!

-ELmO

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought but I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks for the tip elMalloc, I'll go check that out - $1510 shipped is a great deal.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I was about to order from Onecall when I found out that I would have needed to add in $150 for the "white glove delivery" charge so I decided to see if I could pricematch locally. Tweeter wouldn't do it at all, it would have cost around $2000 with the warranty and delivery (they wouldn't even waive the delivery charges :rolleyes:). Circuit City told me no, but then a manager overheard our conversation and said he would do whatever he could. Now, for $1650 delivered, I'm getting the newer model (the 47wx42) with a two year warranty, I thought it was a pretty good deal. I'll probably extend the warranty later on but I wanted to cut down on the cost as much as possible right now. It'll be here tomorrow afternoon so I guess you guys will have to deal with a lot more questions from me ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks