What would you do? Klipsch RB's or JBL S's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Gray, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Richard Gray

Richard Gray Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    A quick vote might help me make up my mind. I recently returned a pair of JBL ND310's and an N Center to Best Cry which were purchased on close out. The Center was pretty good, but those large Floor Standing 310's started out great. After a couple of weeks of break in the problems started. Muddy Mid range sounds and the Bass became too boo-my even after amp/rcvr adjustments.
    Here is the question...I like the JBL S-series for the most part, with the S312's and S-38's getting a [​IMG]
    I have visited the local Circuit City and auditioned the Infinity IL-10's, matching IL Center and a 12" Velodyne LFE. [​IMG]
    But, for a few $$'s more I might get 4 Klipsch RB-2's (or 3's), matching Center then add a Klipsch 10" LFE. :b
    A bit of advice is all I seek.
    They would be matched to a Yamaha RX-V1200, Sharp DVD Player, and 32" Sharp TV, in a 12x12 room.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

There are no RB-2's just the RB-3's which have a 6.5" mid and the RB-5's which use an 8" mid. I love my RB-3's and I highly recomend them. They need very little power, and they just sound amazing.

3. EricE

EricE Agent

I vote for JBL. They seem to give a better price/cost ratio than the other brands.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If you go Klipsch, and I think the Reference series is outstanding, you don't have to buy the Klipsch sub. In fact, as much as I like the Klipsch reference line, I don't particularly feel their subs are the best value for the money.

5. Axel Wolfe

Axel Wolfe Auditioning

I would go for the klipsh, becauce i like the in your face sound for movies, but ultimatly it is how they sound to you, because you have to listen to them.
    Axel

6. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

i've heard the RB-3s and RB-5s, and i really didn't enjoy the sound at all. i went and auditioned them against Paradigm Studio 20s and JM-Reynaud MKIIs, and those both sounded much better. I guess i just didn't like the Klipsch sound. But then again, the Legend Series is really nice. It just seems they're doing all the wrong things with this Reference line.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

all your choices should fill your room with enough sound to upset someboby. truly the best advice is when Axel said, you've got to listen to them. Often, what you hear in the store is quite different from your own room. I'd hazard to say that moving up in the JBL line still might not ultimately satisfy you, so if its possible, audition the infinities and klipsh's. without being in your room its hard to say if part of your disatisfaction is due to speaker placement or perhaps the room itself.

8. Richard Gray

Thanks all!

It appears that your advice as usual is spot on. I am simply searching for the best speaker for my set up!!!

IMHO it is the personal opinion that matters most. However, it was my original opinion that the JBL ND310's sounded excellent in the store and would sound at least that good at my place. That turned out to be incorrect in my case. And it may well be that I am looking for a system that will require home based listening tests. Following on that idea it may be in my best interest (IMBI) to audition a pair of klipsch shelf sized speakers at the old homestead.

Axel,

IMHO the Klipsch RB3II or RB5's are Rock solid speakers. They have a clarity that really shines for movies. But a "trusted friend" continues to insist that they will burn you out over a shorter period of time while playing music when coupled with my Yamaha RX-V.

My next step might be to my local Tweeter, because they sell the Klipsch line. And, they have a great trade up program.

Now to go listen to the Mirage and Boston lines....

9. brian__pratt

brian__pratt Agent

you mentioned having floorstanding speakers...so i would encourage you to audition a few different models of the klipsch floorstanding speakers. i thought about getting bookshelf speakers...but then tried the SF-1 and SF-2's (klipsch)...and the SF-2's were MUCH better sounding. they are relatively small (thin), and take up equal/less space than the bookshelf speakers on speaker stands.
    can't hurt to try 'em. [​IMG]
    good luck!
    (they are about the same price as the higher model bookshelf speakers also)

10. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

If he gets towers, RF3's would be the place to start. Also The Klipsch RB5 is a great speaker.

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Yamaha amps have be known to make the Reference Klipsch (as well as the other series's that they offer) sound like crap. They become fatiguing with the Yamaha's, with the Highs being too much.

12. Richard Gray

Thanks All,
    Brian,
    Yes, there were some JBL Northridge series (ND310) floor-standing speakers at my house for several weeks. They have been returned, due to a growing muddiness in mid range. [​IMG] I was also concerned that they needed 24 to 48" away from everything (Walls, furniture...) to sound moderately accurate for HT. I must say they did play fairly good 2 channel stereo.
    After a recent audition of the Klipsch SF-1 and SF-2's [​IMG] at my local HT Store (Tweeter). They gave a very good HT presence, and were much smaller in footprint than those huge JBL's. But, the SF-2's are $699 + tax.[​IMG] The local Tweeters has several pairs of Klipsch KLF-10's for the same price. Now, those KLF's were very bold speakers. :b With an almost bright (better described as lively) high end.
    One problem I can imagine with the KLF's is that they are as large if not larger than the JBL's and would require a large footprint. Otherwise I am looking at bookshelf speakers. The price isn't the ultimate deciding factor here. More of a minor factor, as long as I spend less than $1500 for the Front's and Rear's. The other $500 is for a sub and $350 for the center.

13. brian__pratt

brian__pratt Agent

yes, the SF-2's are serving me well...they have a very good sound for the size of the speaker. $699?!? ugh. i got my pair for $440 or something last year!
    as stated above, the RF-3's would be superior, but they are larger. i hope to move up to the RF-7's someday when i have tons of room for them.
    with the budget you've mentioned you could get an entire Klipsch Synergy 6 system (including sub) for much less than $1500. that included front/rear/center/sub. look for prices online...i believe it should cost aroun $700-800 or so (plus shipping).
    ALSO, a good point was made above regarding klipsch subs. many of the klipsch owners that post on the klipsch website forums have chosen other vendors for subs. i have the KSW-12...the mid-line in the synergy line. it does a decent job for my room size and space...but there are much better ones out there. [​IMG]

14. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I have listened to the RB-5 extensively and like the sound a lot - very clear highs and a great impact for rock music. Try to audition them.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'm using the KSW-10 for 2 channel audio, and it does a way better job at that than it ever did for home theater. The Shiva filled it's place very nicely [​IMG]
    I would hold off on the Synergy Series towers, as I feel the price difference between them and the RF-3 towers isn't all that much, but the performance difference is staggering.
    PS, if you can get the KLF-10's for the same price as the SF-2's go for those! they are great speakers!

16. Richard Gray

OK now, who owns or who has heard these KLF-10's extensively? I heard them once and they were pretty darned nice! But, which one of you has actually heard them? My second question involves the HT and Musical capabilities of the KLF's versus the SF2 or SP1? What is better?

17. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Try the Klipsch BB, its the best for finding info on Klipsch speakers. (amps, cd players, everything!)[​IMG]

18. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

i've had a lot of experience with the KLF-10s, my roommate owns a pair and i had to live with them for 2 years. they are great speakers, and can be found for around 500 or so, i think. they will blow the socks off the RB-3s, RB-5s, and i'd imagine the RF-3s as well. the Legend series overall IMO is better than the new Reference series, like i said in my previous post in this thread.

19. Richard Gray

Thanks Andrew and all,

I am now searching for a better price on one Legend Series.

One more question, what is a good center speaker for the Legend Series?

20. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I also have heard the KLF-10s on both Adcom and Denon gear at the local dealer. This isn't too bad of a speaker though it seems to need to be placed at least a foot away from any walls or the mids muddy up to much imho. I personally would stay away from the Klip subs as for the performance for the price isn't too good (buy from one of the internet dealers, Accoustic Visions, Adire, HSU, SVS, VMPS, or DIY from Stryke, Blueprintdrivers, Partsexpress, SpeakerCity, Madisound, Accoustic Visions, Adire, and HSU). Since you state that you are using a 12' x 12' room (bass accoustics must be horrible) have you considered other brands of bookshelves as well (Ascend Accoustics, GR research, Axiom, Nht, Paradigm, etc).