what would you do different???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

If you were able to sell all of your HT equipment for 100% return on what you have and wanted to rebuild your HT. Wuld you change anything? think about it, some peoples HT budgets are way more than I make in a year. So I wanted to know if everyone had exactly what they want and wouldnt change a thing, and how many have learned after the fact and after joining HTF that they could have gone bigger, better, louder, clearer, whateverer, for the same money.

Ive only spent about $5000 and have a 11' screen with 7 channels that total 800 watts. Because my speakers cant handle, I would only change my center and surround speakers to match the mains.

please lemme know what y'all would do different.

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I am quite happy that I researched this a lot before making the plunge. I am very happy with my Mitsubishi HDTV, Denon receiver, Monitor Audio speakers, and HSU VTF-2 Subwoofer.
    I wouldn't change a thing, and this is after having this system for two and a half years!
    However, I would like to start saving money to build a room addition to our house for a dedicated home theater with a full projection setup with a 100 inch screen! [​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd sell my TV and use it towards a 16x9 monitor purchase.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would have bought a house more suitable for HT.

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Rob, nice system! [​IMG] . I've been playing this game for 10 years, and have been slowly working up to my current setup:
    Tosh 65H80, TOSH 9200 DVD player, Denon 3802 (preamp), EAD Powermaster 1000 amp, Polk LSi 25's, C, and FX speakers, SVS 16-46PC, and Homegrown Silver Lace and DH Labs Q-10 wire. Everything sounds and looks great, so I wouldn't change anything I've already done. However, if anyone cared to throw a Lex MC-12 down my chimney at Christmas, I probably wouldn't throw it back! [​IMG]

6. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Like Patrick, I'd get a large 16x9 television or DLP projector.

edit: mistyping

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Here's my list:
    Toshiba 4700 DVD player
    Mitsubishi 55" ws HDTV
    Klipsch Reference speakers
    Hsu VTF-2 sub
    Onkyo 696 as preamp to Parasound 1205A amp.

The thing I'd change is not getting the Onkyo receiver and going straight into separates.

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'm pretty happy with my set up. I feel that I researched and tested all available products and got the best that I could afford. I wouldn't change a thing.

9. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Jan, I like your system too! [​IMG]
    I auditioned the Polks and liked them quite a bit. I think they are often overlooked as a quality speaker. In the end, I really preferred the Monitor Audio Silver speakers due to their amazing clarity and detail. However, the Polks probably would have been my second choice.

10. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I've got a Sony from the DE line; if I'd known then, I would've gone with DB for minimal additional cost. That's what I get for not doing any research...

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This is an interesting question, but now that I think about it the only real change would be getting a upgrading my television. In the 2.5 years that have passed since the original purchase I could get an HD set for not much more than I paid for the standard version. Besides that I would keep the rest of my equipment. I've gotten some pretty good deals on my equipment and to make a slight improvement in the sound I would have to make a substantial increase in my audio budget.