What's new

What would you choose? (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm in the market for some new speakers, and I'm always looking for the lowest price (always).

I came accross these 2 pairs of speakers. I want you experianced speaker guru's to lend me your opinion on which you would choose and why?

Which is the better sounding speaker?

(for 95%/5% movies/music)

this speaker

Acoustic Research

or this one?

JBL

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
JBL! - Advantage, besides overall flatter & wider frequency response - JBLs 3/4" Titanium Tweeter - used in the entire N-Series.
For more JBL INFO w/Review links - see my Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
That's exactly what I wanna hear. I thought more people would lean toward AR though , they just sound like they know what their doing..

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Wayne Garcia wrote:
As for the NSP1 system's sound, starting with music only, the first thing you'll notice is that it produces surprisingly full audio. Jazz CDs sound rich and clear, but don't expect bass and drums to plumb the bottom depths of the frequency range. Trumpets and saxophones come through with terrific, brassy texture and bite, but (predictably) not as much detail or sense of air as they might if heard through costlier speakers. Vocals are uniformly good--articulate, focused, and well balanced. With orchestral music, the N24s throw a relatively wide soundstage, with more than a hint of depth (that is, of the sonic space extending beyond the speakers). But rock fans will almost surely want to add a subwoofer to feel the full impact of their favorite bands.
With DVD-videos, vocal clarity is enhanced by the N-Center, which does a great job of routing the dialogue to the screen. Considering its small size, the complete NSP1 system exhibits very good dynamics, and JBL's close attention to driver matching yields a seamless transition from speaker to speaker, creating a wonderfully complete sonic environment.
JBL accomplished its goal with the introduction of the N & S-Series consumer speakers, ... to allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros at affordable prices.
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For 95% movies, I'd have to give a nod to the Axiom Audio M3Ti. Bang for the buck, this is an excellent all around speaker.
The JBL S series is also impressive for the price. I'm not too familiar with the N series beyond the N24.
What you didn't say, is what the actual budget is...

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
$300 for the mains is all I'm really trying to spend if I was convinced that a particular speaker was gonna just knock my socks off I'd consider putting another 100 to 150 on top of the 300, but I'd hate myself in the morning.
smiley_sex.gif

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Phil, what makes the gold JBL's better than the silver ones?Do you think that there is a big gap in sound quality between the two?

And call me old school but, I always thought that speakers needed at least 3 drivers(high, mid , low) But the gold JBLs (some), have 2drivers an the silver ones have 3

Micah

Auditioning
I can heartily endorse the JBL's. I purchased a pair of ND-310s, similar to the n38s but the next step up in size. I love these speakers, and have yet to read a bad thing about them. They do it all with no complaints. My only suggestion to you is to shop around for the nd310's, which, if you are clever and persistant, you should be able to get for only slightly more than the n38s. Also, I STRONGLY reccomend that you budget to get a powered sub-woofer, such as the JBL PB10 or PB12. You might balk at the price, but believe me when I say that once you have it hooked up to your system and start using it you will wonder how you got by without one before. BTW, avoid "passive" subs, they're ok but NOTHING compared to a powered sub. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
The imaging qualities of satellite speakers used in three-piece systems are frequently superior to those found in larger systems, even when the latter are of higher overall quality. One theory of sound reproduction holds that a sound source should be an infinitely small "point source" for optimum stereo-imaging qualities.
The effective size of a speaker's sound source is a function of its actual size. The smaller the dimensions of the driver and adjacent enclosure surfaces, the better the speaker's polar dispersion and the more nearly the sound will appear to come from a single point in space. With two speakers and a properly made stereo recording, this point can be located anywhere between the two speakers.
Although there is definitely not universal agreement on the relative subjective desirability of point-source radiators versus those using reflected or dispersed sound sources for some or all of their output, if nearly pinpoint stereo imaging appeals to you, a good three-piece system may be your most logical and economical choice.
The satellites were 2-way, and generally performed as well as a more expensive 3-way, and better than a poorly designed 3-way with x-over dips, peaks and/or gaps between the 3-drivers.
My JBL On-axis response of the S26 L/R measures +1.7/-1.4 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz (-3dB point is at 48 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz. - HT Magazine), and JBL S26 x-over point is 2 kHz.
My JBL NSP1s (Sound&Vision)
N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
If a speaker overall frequency response is within ±4 dB or better, consider it well designed & excellent - based on the Sound&Vision Magazine Speaker Benchmarks, see my webpage Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance?? (Feb. 25, 2001) - where you can compare 24 different speakers ranging from $716 to $4,400 Price (day of publication).
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Geez Phil!, How do you know all of this $#!t !! Your like a freakin encyclopedia britanica!!:laugh:
Thanks for the info man, hey check out my other thread its a pretty interesting discussion, and I'm sure you can bring something to the table Mr. Wizard;)
" sure dont make em like they used to."

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
LaMarcus, I just bought two pairs of JBL S26s due to Phil's, and many others', high recommendations, and I am extrememly pleased with them. I'm especially happy with their imaging. And if the N38s are anything like, more than likely better than, the S26s, then buy'em. They gotta sound good!
Just ordered a JBL S-center too. Woo-hoo!!! :D :D

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... if the N38s are anything like, more than likely better than, the S26s, then buy'em.
NOTE: The entire JBL Studio Series line uses a 1" Pure titanium dome tweeter (same size as the LSR PRO Monitors), which costs more than the JBL N-Series 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome tweeter. The S-Series improvement can be described as more imaging presence, smoother highs with excellent detailed layers of musical resolution.
Phil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I used the
JBL_N24_Sm_.jpg

**Excellent / Top Service -- The five-star Top Service icon next to a store's name is a sign of superlative quality. It means that the store is participating in our Merchant Rating System, and customers who have ordered from that store have given it the highest ratings.
The right height and better price overall.
FYI: eBay sells a few 30" - 31" speaker stands.
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Phil, what size of stands do you use for your S26 mains? I've found some pretty cool ones and can't decide if I should get the 18" or 24" version.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I bought - 18" Tri-Pillar Speaker Stands @ eBay last month! This puts the tweeters about 33" off the floor and within 23" from the S-Center Channel tweeters center-axis (JBL recommends that the distance between the S-Center & Main tweeters to be no greater than 24").
My "sweet spot" is about 9' from the S-Center Speaker, which is slightly tilted down and the Mains are approx 7.6 feet apart - not toed-in. This combination provides the best front wall of seamless panning sound spread over my 50" Toshiba 16:9 HDTV for my usual Friday NITE DVD
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

family & friend crowd.
24" stands will put the tweeters approx. 39" off the floor - a bit high in my opinion.
Phil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
The lower picture, Tri-Pillar one looks great!!
eBay has this one their site all the time!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1352762032
Discription:
Ideal for mini-monitor style and home theatre surround speakers, this stand features a three pillar design with a triangular base. 18" in height. Includes adjustable spikes on base for leveling and isolation. Platform is 1/8" thick and measures 7-1/16" square. Black textured finish. Net weight: 21 lbs. per pair. These stands can be filled!
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks