What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, May 9, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'm in the market for some new speakers, and I'm always looking for the lowest price (always).

I came accross these 2 pairs of speakers. I want you experianced speaker guru's to lend me your opinion on which you would choose and why?

Which is the better sounding speaker?

(for 95%/5% movies/music)

this speaker

Acoustic Research

or this one?

JBL

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

JBL! - Advantage, besides overall flatter & wider frequency response - JBLs 3/4" Titanium Tweeter - used in the entire N-Series.
    For more JBL INFO w/Review links - see my Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!
    **NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

That's exactly what I wanna hear. I thought more people would lean toward AR though , they just sound like they know what their doing..

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Phil Iturralde

Wayne Garcia wrote:

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For 95% movies, I'd have to give a nod to the Axiom Audio M3Ti. Bang for the buck, this is an excellent all around speaker.
    The JBL S series is also impressive for the price. I'm not too familiar with the N series beyond the N24.
    What you didn't say, is what the actual budget is...

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

$300 for the mains is all I'm really trying to spend if I was convinced that a particular speaker was gonna just knock my socks off I'd consider putting another 100 to 150 on top of the 300, but I'd hate myself in the morning.[​IMG]

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Phil, what makes the gold JBL's better than the silver ones?Do you think that there is a big gap in sound quality between the two?

And call me old school but, I always thought that speakers needed at least 3 drivers(high, mid , low) But the gold JBLs (some), have 2drivers an the silver ones have 3

9. Micah

Micah Auditioning

I can heartily endorse the JBL's. I purchased a pair of ND-310s, similar to the n38s but the next step up in size. I love these speakers, and have yet to read a bad thing about them. They do it all with no complaints. My only suggestion to you is to shop around for the nd310's, which, if you are clever and persistant, you should be able to get for only slightly more than the n38s. Also, I STRONGLY reccomend that you budget to get a powered sub-woofer, such as the JBL PB10 or PB12. You might balk at the price, but believe me when I say that once you have it hooked up to your system and start using it you will wonder how you got by without one before. BTW, avoid "passive" subs, they're ok but NOTHING compared to a powered sub. [​IMG]

10. Phil Iturralde

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Micah - FYI: listing your equipment in your signature is not allowed.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Geez Phil!, How do you know all of this $#!t !! Your like a freakin encyclopedia britanica!![​IMG]
    Thanks for the info man, hey check out my other thread its a pretty interesting discussion, and I'm sure you can bring something to the table Mr. Wizard[​IMG]
    " sure dont make em like they used to."

13. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

LaMarcus, I just bought two pairs of JBL S26s due to Phil's, and many others', high recommendations, and I am extrememly pleased with them. I'm especially happy with their imaging. And if the N38s are anything like, more than likely better than, the S26s, then buy'em. They gotta sound good!
    Just ordered a JBL S-center too. Woo-hoo!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Phil Iturralde

15. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

any recommendations on some nice stands for the N24's?

I am thinking about the NSP1 for the bedroom.

16. Phil Iturralde

I used the [​IMG]
    **Excellent / Top Service -- The five-star Top Service icon next to a store's name is a sign of superlative quality. It means that the store is participating in our Merchant Rating System, and customers who have ordered from that store have given it the highest ratings.
    The right height and better price overall.
    FYI: eBay sells a few 30" - 31" speaker stands.
    NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

17. Jeffrey Noel

Phil, what size of stands do you use for your S26 mains? I've found some pretty cool ones and can't decide if I should get the 18" or 24" version.

18. Phil Iturralde

I bought - 18" Tri-Pillar Speaker Stands @ eBay last month! This puts the tweeters about 33" off the floor and within 23" from the S-Center Channel tweeters center-axis (JBL recommends that the distance between the S-Center & Main tweeters to be no greater than 24").
    My "sweet spot" is about 9' from the S-Center Speaker, which is slightly tilted down and the Mains are approx 7.6 feet apart - not toed-in. This combination provides the best front wall of seamless panning sound spread over my 50" Toshiba 16:9 HDTV for my usual Friday NITE DVD [​IMG]
    family & friend crowd.
    24" stands will put the tweeters approx. 39" off the floor - a bit high in my opinion.
    Phil

19. Jeffrey Noel

Thanks Phil. I figured the 24" would be a little high but just wanted a second opinion!
    I was actually thinking about getting these(which can be found at Parts Express):
    [​IMG]
    Or these:
    http://store6.yimg.com/I/htmarket_1678_5060349
    Both are 18 inches.
    Thanks again!

20. Phil Iturralde

The lower picture, Tri-Pillar one looks great!!
    eBay has this one their site all the time!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1352762032
    Discription:
    Ideal for mini-monitor style and home theatre surround speakers, this stand features a three pillar design with a triangular base. 18" in height. Includes adjustable spikes on base for leveling and isolation. Platform is 1/8" thick and measures 7-1/16" square. Black textured finish. Net weight: 21 lbs. per pair. These stands can be filled!
    Phil