What would you choose...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

If you could only choose from one of these gifts, what would it be and why?

1) The ability to selectively read people's minds (no distance restrictions).

2) The ability to foresee your future in exact detail (up to ten years in advance).

I was asked this the other day, and I didn't know which one I would choose. I was just curious to see what others would do...

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I would choose 1).

I don't think you would gain any advantage by being able to see 10 years into the future, because the future isn't preplanned.

The future always changes depending on what you're doing right now, so being able to read people's minds would help a great deal in making the right decisions here and now, and that's really what counts!

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I honestly don't think I'd choose either one. Now if I were to be offered the power to make certain women fall in love with me, that'd be a different story... [​IMG]

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

But then again, having the first option might help in the women issue. Than again, it will require you to actually understand what you read [​IMG]

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Definitely 1, although I would find it hard to concentrate on my own life when I can spy into the heads of others!
    Bars and social parties would be really interesting if you could know what people think of you and others around you. Imagine knowing what your boss thinks of you when you ask for a raise... Man, the possibilities are endless!
    Jay

6. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Reading minds would definitely be the one, as long as you could turn it off when you wanted to.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The first, since the second would either give me headaches from the paradox potential or send me into a deep depression because of my apparent lack of control over my own life.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't think I want to know the future, so I'll choose the mind reading thing. [​IMG]

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

1. Read peoples mind. You could create a fortune doing this.

2. Create your own future and be able to see how your decisions now change what happens to you 10 years down the road.

For me, it is a tossup. Because I have to choose, I take option two because I will be able to know what happens to me and can change it. I'd be able to avoid situations and other things that may be problematic. I would also know how my kids turn out, what happens to family and friends, etc. To me, #2 is more appealing because you would be able to have in part #1.

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I would choose #1.

Jon

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

#1, SELECTIVE mind reading!

12. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    #1, I wouldn't even want to know the future unless it came with one of those sports almanacs like Biff got in Back to the Future.

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'd choose selective 1, b/c I already saw 12 Monkeys.

14. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Like the majority here, I would choose #1. If I could read minds, the possibilities would be endless.

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I agree with pretty much everyone. Reading minds would be much cooler. How would you like to see the future(bad stuff, like illness and death I mean) and not be able to do anything about it? That would suck!!!

16. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

#2. If you could see into the future, you wouldn't need #1. For example, you're at a bar. You see an incredibly hot woman sitting there. Do you approach her? If you had #1, you'd know she thought you were a dork and your feelings would be hurt so you don't approach her. If you had #2, your future-sight tells you that you won't score so you don't approach. At least your ego wouldn't bruised. [​IMG] If you had #2, you would always be able to make the right decisions based on your own actions. With #1, you'd be making decisions based on other peoples thoughts which may or may not be appropriate for you.