What would this DIY project comapre to?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff Braddock, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

What commercial sub would a Shiva in the SBB4 enclosure be similar in quantity and quailty to? In particular, what models of the Paradigm, Logan, B&W, or Boston would be comparable? I ask these brands in particular b/c some local shops carry these. Thanks.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I compared a Shiva in a 2cu.ft. sealed box with a Paradigm Servo-15. Those in the know will note that the Shiva's enclosure is small (it was meant for my car) and thus results in a somewhat high system Q.

However, the Shiva's (subjective) performance came pretty darn close to the servo-15. The Servo was slightly cleaner at higher SPL and had a little more extension (that extra 1/2 octave or so). I was very surprised how well the Shiva performed, given the undersized enclosure for the size of the room. I think you'll be very pleased if you go with the Shiva...

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

An SBB4 Shiva would compare very well with a Paradigm PW2200.

4. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Thanks guys.

What about the Adire Alignment? To what would it compare?

Which enclosure would everybody recomend? The Adire Alignment or the SBB4?

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

The EBS goes the lowest, SBB4 is the loudest and the AA is in between. If you listen to classical, jazz and like a sub that goes real low, go with the EBS. If you like rap, rock and the punch from HT LFEs then go with the SBB4. The AA is somewhere in between. Also try modeling the designs in LSPcad from Adire's website.