What would the difference be between a dual 39+/s1000 and 1 Ultra/s1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

Ok right now I have 2 39CS+/S1000 and I am about to move and I might not be able to fit both in the room... So I was wondering what would the differences be if I used only 1 Ultra and used the full 1k from the Samson amp to run it??? Will it have the same out put as the dual??

Thanks
    Mark

2. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I have one Ultra anbd I dont think you can use the full 1k watts because in bridged mode it must be used for 8ohm speaker load. I believe the ultra is 4ohm and can only use the 500 watts and the other 500 for a second sub.

3. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I don't think you will get the same SPL's out of a single Ultra.You can fit both in the room...don't listen to the significant other...the bigger, the more obtrusive, the better!

4. Mark Guidry

Ahh that's what I was thinking...2 is better than one [​IMG] Heh heh yeah mike I know but its not the significant other wondering this (yet). I am still going to try them in the only spot that they can both fit (snugged up in a corner next to a bookshelf) and I will see how it looks/sounds/and if it gets the ok....I was just trying to think of other options if it doesn't work out this way. I am not to worried about getting the ok or not because I told her that it HAS to sound good at all cost [​IMG] She was not to jazzed about the speakers that are going to be hanging from the wall but she will get over it[​IMG]

5. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Tom is correct. The Samson is limited to 8 ohms in the bridged mode. You would need an amp rated at 2 ohms to be able to run it bridged into 4 ohms.

If you could find an amp that could pump 1KW into the Ultra the sub would probably bottom out before reaching the amps limits.

6. Mark Guidry

Ok well I will stick with what I have for now untill I move in....then I will go from there. I just wanted to know what my options were.

Thanks again
    Mark

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Mark,

As other have already noted, the Samsons aren't designed to be bridged into less than 8ohms. The size of the Ultra enclosure insures a very high *sensitivity*...so you really don't need a lot of power to reach full potential with it. 500-550w is about it, and 600w would be the cap imo. The driver can handle it thermally, but you just begin to pour more voltage into the enclosure with no benefits(and the real possibility of over-excursion with the driver).

TV

8. Mark Guidry

Thanks TV...I didnt know if more was better for the Ultras. I was unsure of the power handling of them. You think I would loose a lot of output going from a dual 39+ to a single Ultra on the same S1k amp??

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

TV can confirm, but I believe a dual CS+ set-up will better a single Ultra (all other variables - amp, room, placement, etc. - being equal) by about 4 dB across the board.

This is assuming you place both CS+ in the same corner and achieve the normal 6 dB increase over one CS+.

In other words, a single Ultra can probably best a single CS+ by around 2 dB in max output.

Regards,

Ed

10. Mark Guidry

Ok ED thanks...the 2 CS+ will be in the same corner. Hmm ok another question...right now I have the 2 CS+ in opposite corners in the room. The entertainment center spans across the whole wall except for about 2' in each corner...and I have the subs in each corner. So your saying I should see a 6db increase over what I have now if they are in the same corner?? Provided that everything else would stay the same...I know its not going to but just comparison purposes.

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Adding a second sub in an opposite corner usually yields a 3 dB gain in SPL.

Adding a second sub in the same corner usually yields a 6 dB gain in SPL.

If you went from opposite corners to a single corner, you should see a 3 dB increase in SPL.

These are generally accepted rules of thumb - room acoustics can do funny things so it is always best to confirm your results with your SPL meter in a few different room locations.

Ed

Ed

12. Mark Guidry

Ahh ok...well thanks for the info....I cant wait to see how its going to sound in the new house...I hope its good [​IMG]