What would my best choice be for Internet?

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I need to get back up on the 'net at home. But in my new home I do not have a land line. I use a cell phone for all my verbal communication needs. I have also switched over to Dishnetwork for my television. So how do I get high speed internet without a landline or cable?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that the new law has gone into effect which requires phone companies to offer DSL without phone service. I think that would be your best bet. You may be able to do this with cable companies as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The best thing to do is to look into the packages. What's your cell provider? If it's Versizon, maybe you can get a discount for their wireless broadband...

Or check out DSL - the phone company may charge extra if you don't have phone service, but it may be cheaper just to get the phone service and DSL in a package...the same goes with cable.

I guess what I'm saying is, look into combining a few services and see if the 'package' works out for you.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

This is outrageous. The phone company doesn't own the copper wire in my apartment building, why should they be allowed to charge extra if I don't have a landline phone service ordered?

Where I live, it's possible to choose from a number of DSL providers. You can choose to go with the phone company that provides landline service in your area - or you can choose differently, and there's not a thing the phone company can say or do about that.

I don't know how it works in your particular location, but if at all possible, do look into other DSL Internet providers besides your phone company as the phone company may not be competitive due to their bundling of phone and Internet services.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mark:

Do you not have the phone wire run to your house or do you chose to not turn it on? If the wiring is there it is just a matter of calling a local company that offers DSL. Ask them how close you are to a hub as the farther you are away from them the slower your speed will be.

Do you not have cable in your area? Is this a new house and no cable line is run to your house? If you have cable running to your house already I would go that route.

Or if you can go the wireless broadband route.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Generally, you can get cable-modem access without a cable-TV subscription. They tend to be completely separate service packages.

Last time I checked, I couldn't get DSL without also paying for dial-tone service. I'm curious to see if this has changed.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh, in my area, the phone co. owns the lines - it also makes their service cheaper. If you go with anyone else, you have to pay extra because they have to pay to use the phone lines (from the main phone company).

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Sure, the phone company owns the lines that come to your house. Naturally, they charge other ISPs a fee for using their wires, and I don't have a problem with that. But I don't see why they should be allowed to charge you more if you went with another service provider; in my opinion, in your area they should be forced to rent capacity in their network to other providers based on the actual cost of maintaining the wires which is what they have to do here.

Monopolies, pffftt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OH! That's what you meant. Sorry, my mistake, that's not what I meant.

I meant, for example, if I ordered DSL through the main phone company (the one that owns the lines) that I might get charged an extra fee if I don't have phone service - meaning, I get a bit of a discount for my DSL because I also have phone service with them. Kinda like that 'package' thing I was saying.

The Cable company does the same thing.

I've seen the same thing with B.J.'s Wholesale - they sell gas and it's cheap, but if you're not a member of B.J.'s (i.e. you haven't paid for their card) you get charged a higher fee.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Gotcha, Mark. I misunderstood your first post in this thread, my bad.

Just to be clear, my beef is with the following problem:

No one should be forced to pay for a landline in order to get DSL. If the phone company rents capacity to other ISPs on their network, they shouldn't be allowed to charge you for what you may consider an obsolete service in case you chose someone else to be your ISP. Hopefully, there will be enough competition from cable companies and other operators to make such consumer-unfriendly problems a thing of the past.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But is it possible to just get DSL without also having access to the land line? The phone line and DSL run together, so I wonder if they won't allow you to just get DSL (without a Land Line) because they can't do just DSL alone...

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I gave up the landline years ago and only have a mobile phone, but still get ADSL service over the same phone wire from a company that is not the local phone monopoly in my area. There's no technical limitation that would prevent this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I checked two years ago, I was told I had to have a dial-tone to get DSL service. As I understand it, that requires some sort of (basic) phone service. This is all for my area. Your situation may be different.

I've not checked rates; but understanding is that local phone service is about $30 / mo. So DSL would cost me about $60 / mo, making it much more expensive than cable modem.

I hope DSL is now available without additional services; that would give me an option if my cable rates increase.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
my boss has that verizon wireless broadband card for his laptop. it's pretty swanky, and comes in real handy when the hotel you're in wants to charge per minute of internet use.

wasn't insanely priced either IIRC

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

This is why they started distributing these in our office to our employees that travel heavily. The ironic part is, the hotels that charge the highest room rates are the ones that choose to smack down their guests with outrageously high Internet access fees. The lower cost hotels generally provide it free.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvwatcher