What's new

What would it take for YOU to get D-Theater? (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I'm afraid that because it is tape and it is linear, I would have to pass.

The benefits do not outweigh the problems with this odd mix of old and new technology.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
For me it would be these conditions:

1) Films I'm actually interested in owning since this will almost certainly be a sell through format. Even the currently available stuff on the list that is OK I would only rent at best. Perhaps if I had a lot more disposable income, I could invest in a format purely for the "wow" factor, but realistically, this ain't going to happen (not that I wouldn't mind seeing how good this would look on my HD display).

2) Less expensive hardware (under $400 please) plus a HD tuner.

3) Support from all the major studios (see item 1).

If these things happened and there was no acceptable quality HD DVD on the way, I'd buy into it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d be surprised if this format hit an acceptable price point for me much before HD-DVD is well and truly on the way.

Even so, I’d consider an HD tape deck to record and playback HD TV. But the cost has to drop below $500. I think that it will be a while before Tivo and the like are HD-ready.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I am always curious about the tape degradation issue. I have so many DVDs that I can’t possibly watch any of them frequently enough that degradation would be an issue, were they on tape.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I usually try to jump on something new that appeals to me quickly (got into LDs very early, got 1st gen DVD player, and proud owner of Mits HDTV), but the price of the DVHS player just ain't doing it for me. I have no problem with tape, hell I still watch stuff I taped off TV years ago with no problem (I'm a Discovery Channel/History Channel junkie!). Drop it a few hundred bucks, say 4, and I may say 'what the hell.' As my wife always says: "You have to be the first one on the block with the newest toys!" :D

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am always curious about the tape degradation issue. I have so many DVDs that I can’t possibly watch any of them frequently enough that degradation would be an issue, were they on tape.
Tape will continue to degrade whether you watch it repeatedly or not. :thumbsdown:

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Here's what needs to happen for me to get D-Theater:

First I need an HDTV set.

Which means I need a bigger place to live.

And that ain't going to happen real soon.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
for me to buy an D-VHS player (right now I'm enjoying one at a friend's house) I would need:
All D-VHS tapes to adopt true 1080 PROGRESSIVE encoding. Right now all D-VHS tapes are vertically filtered to reduce aliasing on 1080I displays and it hurts PQ (softens the image).
On soon-to-be 1920 x 1080 digital projectors capable of true 1080P, a 1080P HD image look much sharper and cleaner (given good source material) than the 1080I we see now.
yes...as good as 1080I looks...1080P will be better. and if you can't see a difference you're sitting too far from the screen :)
-dave

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
D VHS Needs to marketed tightly as a bridge between the current VHS market and Optical HD media. If D VHS machines sold for 10-20% higher thand regular SVHS machines and blank DVHS tapes costs betweent $4-$8, I would say that there is some hope for the formate to reach mainstream market.
Other factors to consider for the format to be successful:

1) New DVD and New DVHS releases must occur on the same release date
2) DVHS must contain the same extras as their DVD couterpart, or, at least come packaged with supplemental DVD containing the extras (ok for the DHVS version to cost $2-$5 more than its dvd counterpart) - therefore, the presentation of the main feature will be superior to the DVD version
3) Coming out with DVHS/hard drive combo machines for ultimate recording flexibility.

For myself, in addition to the above indicated factors, I also need the DVHS version to always be available in a Full Bit Rate DTS version for me to start collecting DVHS movies. Otherwise, I don't see myself investing in a DVHS recorder.

Elbert

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
My HDTV arrives tomorrow (I can't wait!).
For me...a price tag below $500.00 would get me into the party!

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Although I'm not particularly interested in a tape format, I would JUMP on any HD player if they were to announce the original "Star Wars" trilogy or the "Indiana Jones" trilogy! Of course, the chances of this are extremely unlikely. And even MORE unlikely would be these titles announced in D-Theater and NOT DVD! If released in BOTH formats, I would continue to purchase the DVD instead.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I learned my lesson with tape. Never again. If I were to get into it, these things would have to happen:

1) The price would have DROP DROP DROP. I'm talking $300 for the deck. Anything more and I feel it's a waste. $300 is the limit at which I feel I can buy something and not really cringe.

2) No HD recording solution for optical media. As more shows are shown on TV, there has to be a way to record them. However, I've been dumping my NTSC TiVo shows to DVD for myself. This would be a compelling reason to get a D deck.

3) No HD playback optical format. I know it goes with 2) but I have to emphasise something. If there's an HD optical playback format and no HD optical recording format, I'll stick with NTSC DVD recording until a solution comes out.

4) No HD recording solution for computers. Hard drive prices are dropping. If there was a way to record HD on my computer, I'd ignore D-VHS.

I'm slowly getting rid of every VHS tape I own. I recently threw away season 1 of Babylon 5 on S-VHS because of the DVD that's out (and I saved a lot of room doing so).

I always hated tape as I see many people here have also. I can't believe that any form of tape would survive the long haul.

Mike

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Cdn $200 for decks and Cdn $20 for the movie. It can only be 5 titles out there, I don't care.

Right now it's just too expensive of an easily-degraded format.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
More variety of players decks. I think they are built like they should cost sub $400. Better transport and mechnical design. My old WVHS is built like a tank! If someone makes a better deck, I'm there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks