What's new

What would it take for you to buy Nintendo's next console? (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
"No, there is another."

Unsurprisingly, it will take nothing to get me to buy the next Nintendo system provided they don't go back to using cartridges. I would also prefer they don't do the entertainment hub concept which I think is, frankly, rather pointless.

Nintendo already got my vote after winning me back post-N64 which I firmly believe was nothing short of a debacle and have never and will never own one.

The best part is, by the time the new systems come out I'll have a seriously lucrative job so I'll just buy all the damn things anyway :D.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Unsurprisingly, it will take nothing to get me to buy the next Nintendo system provided they don't go back to using cartridges
If they use blu-ray discs in the next gen consoles (Sony plans to) then the discs sort of act as cartridges. They load extremely fast, can be written on, and can hold a LOT (one demo unit had a blu-ray disc with 7 HD-quality movies on it).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
1- Stop having a contest among your designers to see who can make the D-Pad most unuseable. Your controllers STINK, make more all-purpose designs. May I suggest looking at why the Genesis 6 button/Saturn Japanese controllers are the best of all time?

2- Online play, as good as XBL

3- Hardware will all capabilities of XB

4- Longterm third-party commitment. And I don't just want a Mario game on Launch. I want multiple NEW games that don't stink. That I have to play. Cute graphics go over well in Japan, and I like them too, but the majority of the US public has moved Nintendo solidly to ToysRUs because of this.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Chris, I have zero interest in getting into another console war discussion with you. He asked what it would take for me to buy the next Nintendo product and I answered. Your opinion about my answers is your own, and I'm certainly not going to defend them to you.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Dave F. I wasn't trying to get into an arguement with you I was just saying my opinion about your opinion, I respect what you have to say and what your feelings are I was just also expressing my own. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
No problem, dude. The possibility also exists that I'm a little bit cranky this morning and therefore reacted a bit more harshly than normal... :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I currently have a Cube and an X Box but I play fewer video games than ever so next round at best I'll get one console. Whoever offers the most impressive combination of hardware and software at the best price will get my business.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I would probably buy the next Nintendo console no matter what, but it would definately be my last priority. I think there's a big "if" as to if it's even going to come out though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
May I suggest looking at why the Genesis 6 button/Saturn Japanese controllers are the best of all time?
A-freakin'-men!

I loved playing the streetfighter series on those controllers. I could totally whoop ass and pull off near every move I wanted! That's why I haven't played Capcom fighters since, because all the controllers are not conducive to it, and I'm not going to sport another $50 for a dedicated fighting stick (actually I'd have to get two to make it fair, wouldn't want my opponent stuck w/ a stock controller). Oh and I'm not picking on the Cube's controller specifically (although that is probably the worst for fighting games). All the modern controllers aren't conducive to the six-button Capcom-style fighting games (I hate using shoulder buttons).

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
It wouldn't take much for me either, as I would pretty much get any hardware that Nintendo puts out. I would also prefer that it isn't a "media hub", as I already have a DVD player that will do a better job than anything built into a console machine. BTW, the GameCube does support 480p, but you need a special cable. As for 480p software, I know that Super Metriod and Wind Waker support it. I would like the next gen one to do 1080i, but that wouldn't be a requirement.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I have to wonder if a similar topic about the X-box would ever be posted on this forum. Why is it that some are actually cheering for Nintendo's demise? The market CAN support 3 consoles and we ALL win with their respective successes.

Honestly, every console on the market has its share of problems. The PS2 runs behind the technology curve, The Cube has a severe shortage of great 3rd party titles, and the X-box lacks major exclusives. Sure, the Cube might not be leading the race, but Nintendo is still turning a profit -- unlike Microsoft. They aren't going anywhere.

I can understand some of the dislike that the Cube gets, but it's a little ridiculous to expect them to go third party just because some people refuse to buy a Nintendo console.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have to wonder if a similar topic about the X-box would ever be posted on this forum.
Come on Adam. You've been here long enough to know that for a very long time there were an equal number of folks on this very forum calling for the removal of Microsoft from the console game. There was a time when every other thread denegrated into some kind of argument about MS's business practices or how "evil" their intentions are. There is nothing new under the sun here.

Frankly the question Glenn posted was fair and the subsequent replies have been for the most part pretty interesting.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I know, it just seems that Nintendo bashing is all the rage these days. You can't escape it anywhere on the net, even though many people have very valid points.

I'd love to see EAD try and target older gamers with a new, innovative franchise. Unfortunately, I just don't see them moving in that direction -- it's easier to have the 2nd party developers take care of that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot of us aren't bashing (I personally have better things to do with my time). I actually constructed my responses in hopes that someone in the "industry" would read them and maybe pass em on to the Big N. I loved my SNES and N64 (though I had few games, the ones I did I played to death) and would love for Nintendo to have a next-gen system that I actually want to own. Unfortunately, for my needs, the Cube meets very few of them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the PS2 controller is the best in terms of design (there might be a thing or two with the joysticks being too tight/loose or the d-pad being too hard/soft or whatever, so I'm leaving my choice at the design).

The 6 face buttons thing was annoying for me on the Genesis. I'd prefer less buttons on the face for immediate actions.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
All the modern controllers aren't conducive to the six-button Capcom-style fighting games (I hate using shoulder buttons).
Yes! For god's sake let's stop with the regression from 6 face buttons to 4. Give me a comfy Gamecube controller with 6 face buttons and a Saturn d-pad. That would be perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks