1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What would it be called if you have a problem with math like dyslexics with words?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Feb 28, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have a problem with math. No matter how hard I try with it, I can't comprehend most of it, even most division and fractions. I can be shown it, read about it, whatever, and within an hour I can't do it anymore. It's really aggrevating. I'm great with science, history, vocabulary, and pretty much everything else. But if you have me do math, I get all confused and full of anxiety. What would this be called?

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Dyscalculia.

And like everything else in the known universe, there's a web page for it:

dyscalculia.org

Jay Taylor

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

StephenA,

Not to get personal, but how old are you? I was a poor math student until I was in middle school. I could not comprehend rote memorization of things like times tables and the rules of addition/subtraction. Turns out I was a "spatial thinker" - one who has to visualize math spatially. Funny thing is, until you learn to visualize it, you cannot comprehend any math at all. After you learn, you become superior in math. Einstein was poor at math in early school because he was the ultimate spatial thinker. I went on to a career in software engineering, where I still have trouble in advanced math until I can relate it to a spatial problem.

The turning point for me was when a teacher taught me number line theory. Once I learned that, I did all my math by picturing a number line (or 2 or 3 dimensional graph) in my head.

My niece is also a spatial thinker. She used to have trouble with subtraction. Then one day she saw that something like 9-5 is just 10-5 = 5 - 1 = 4. Breaking things down into smaller "blocks" is a sure sign of a spatial thinker.

4. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Numeral Dyslexia is also an accepted name for the condition. Suffer from it myself, and to this data detest math.

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'm 23. All through school, no matter how much help I got, I could not comprehend most math. And thanks for posting you guys.