What's new

What would I need to set up a marine aquarium? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
With the help of other forum members, I have maintained a successful 29g tropical aquarium for almost two years now. It started as a barb tank but now contains two clown loaches, two angels, three tetras (I can't remember what kind exactly, but they're bigger than most tetras and are red with black fins) a male betta and an 8" pleco. It's a beautiful addition to my living room and I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching.

I've been contemplating setting up a marine aquarium for a month or two now. (I want to get a couple clownfish and some damsels) I would like it to be a 55g, but I'm afraid space constraints would require it to be 29g. What would I need to set up a marine aquarium? I'm talking about lighting, filters, etc... I've heard I can use power filters with a biowheel like I'm using in my tropical setup. Are there any special additives other than aquarium salt which would need to be put in on a regular basis?

Keep in mind, it will be a fish only environment - no coral.

Thanks. Clint

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
With the help of other forum members, I have maintained a successful 29g tropical aquarium for almost two years now. It started as a barb tank but now contains two clown loaches, two angels, three tetras (I can't remember what kind exactly, but they're bigger than most tetras and are red with black fins) a male betta and an 8" pleco. It's a beautiful addition to my living room and I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching.

I've been contemplating setting up a marine aquarium for a month or two now. (I want to get a couple clownfish and some damsels) I would like it to be a 55g, but I'm afraid space constraints would require it to be 29g. What would I need to set up a marine aquarium? I'm talking about lighting, filters, etc... I've heard I can use power filters with a biowheel like I'm using in my tropical setup. Are there any special additives other than aquarium salt which would need to be put in on a regular basis?

Keep in mind, it will be a fish only environment - no coral.

Thanks. Clint

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
to go here;
www.reefcentral.com
just peruse the noobie forums, all your questions will be answered.

A 29 is pretty small for a reef tank, you could keep a few fish but the liverock would relaly be hard to fit in there due to the shape (same goes for a 55, not deep enough front to back, ask me how I know :frowning: )
I'd stay away from damsels, they're mean and can pick on other fish, and they're hard to catch once introduced... but go read..
In short you'll need
tank
sand (more than you'd think, read about deep sand beds)
liverock (4 bucks a pound if you order online, you should have 1-2 pounds per gallon, give or take. Less for a fish only. I'm a reef guy and can't help there too much)
salt
PURE water, RO/DI is best, you can't really just filter tapwater for marine, it WILL cause you issues later. Again, ask me how I know
lighting (depends on what you want to keep.. clams and some corals need a lot of light, metal halides. Fish only need enough light for you to see them)
heaters (you're going to be a little warmer than a tropical tank, needs some heat)
filtration, protein skimmer most likely. Power filters and bio wheels become nitrate factories in saltwater tanks most of the time.
But, there are different methods and they all work for different people, so go research it for yourself.

You really should have a sump tank to house the equipment, but it's not absolutely required.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
to go here;
www.reefcentral.com
just peruse the noobie forums, all your questions will be answered.

A 29 is pretty small for a reef tank, you could keep a few fish but the liverock would relaly be hard to fit in there due to the shape (same goes for a 55, not deep enough front to back, ask me how I know :frowning: )
I'd stay away from damsels, they're mean and can pick on other fish, and they're hard to catch once introduced... but go read..
In short you'll need
tank
sand (more than you'd think, read about deep sand beds)
liverock (4 bucks a pound if you order online, you should have 1-2 pounds per gallon, give or take. Less for a fish only. I'm a reef guy and can't help there too much)
salt
PURE water, RO/DI is best, you can't really just filter tapwater for marine, it WILL cause you issues later. Again, ask me how I know
lighting (depends on what you want to keep.. clams and some corals need a lot of light, metal halides. Fish only need enough light for you to see them)
heaters (you're going to be a little warmer than a tropical tank, needs some heat)
filtration, protein skimmer most likely. Power filters and bio wheels become nitrate factories in saltwater tanks most of the time.
But, there are different methods and they all work for different people, so go research it for yourself.

You really should have a sump tank to house the equipment, but it's not absolutely required.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I think his marine aquarium is going to be fish-only. So he probably doesn't need any live rock... although a couple of nice pieces certainly wouldn't hurt.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I think his marine aquarium is going to be fish-only. So he probably doesn't need any live rock... although a couple of nice pieces certainly wouldn't hurt.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend trying out a Betta Fish. They have alot of personality:) (Yes really).I have 2 and there very simple to take care of and keep alive - theyre sterdy fish. Do some research on them first though.

People at the forum below are always willing to help out and answer any questions a newbie may have....

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend trying out a Betta Fish. They have alot of personality:) (Yes really).I have 2 and there very simple to take care of and keep alive - theyre sterdy fish. Do some research on them first though.

People at the forum below are always willing to help out and answer any questions a newbie may have....

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks