What would happen? (LA/Earthquakes)...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Apr 6, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

A few years back I saw a SNL sketch where their was a big earthquake in LA. And all of the tv/movie execs were going over what celebs lived & died.

Anyway, if a major earthquake did hit LA. How do you think the studios and networks would do regarding tv shows and movies? I know a lot of tv shows are filmed in Canada so I can see a lot of productions quickly moving to other locals to keep from bankrupting the studios.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Um, Todd, if "The Big One" hits L.A. I think that people would be more concerned about other things -- you know, loss of life, property destruction, infrastructure destruction, and the general effect on the U.S. economy (and, eventually, the world economy). You know, the little things.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

If the big one hits, California will sink under the Pacific, everyone knows that.

Some might argue that Hollywood wouldn't be that big a loss.

--
    H

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A popular myth, of course. California isn't in a subduction zone.

Movie and TV production would of course take a back seat to restoring more essential production and services

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Snake Plissken would be able to catch that big wave. [​IMG]

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think that they would rebuild Hollywood near Las Vegas. It should be a little more 'quake free' there.

If the 'new' episodes go to New York and wait for the first airing from there, it would be interesting to see how many 'weeks' of shows they had, and if they had 13 episodes of a show that hasn't been on TV yet, if they'd play all of them, good or bad, waiting for the new Holly-Vegas to get going.

I am sure that the OP didn't want to make light of any D & D, but as soon as the smoke clears, the rest of the world just keeps on going. Sad, but true.

Glenn

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

As someone who has family in both northern and southern California...I agree. But, were dealing with major companies who have to get back to business. But, we can discuss this situation assuming a few months have passed. Also, remember how much of the economy relies on tv/film production.
    On what Glenn said about the world keeping moving. I was getting calls from customers of mine calling me from motel rooms a week after their businesses & homes were destroyed from Katrina.