What would happen if you took 50 pills of Melatonin??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Obviously, not good results but what would happen?? I'm not tired and need to get to bed so this thought came to mind. Anybody know??? Just thought it was interesting.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Possible side effects of Melatonin overdoses are dizziness, disorientation, stomach-aches, itchiness and nightmares. Taking more than the recommended dose won't get you to sleep any faster.

Responses vary widely from individual to individual so it's hard to pin down what reaction 50 pills could cause. In some case studies subjects took daily doses up to 1200mg for 24 days straight with no significant side effects, while others have reported side effects with doses as low as 6mg (most tablets are 1-3mg but aren't classified as drugs, only dietary supplements, so quality isn't strictly regulated). Less than 1mg is usually the recommended dose. Needless to say, interaction with drugs or alcohol could make side effects considerably worse.

Not much is known about long-term or high dose exposure to Melatonin, and as it's a hormonal treatment conclusive evidence may not be available for years. Anyone taking larger doses is experimenting on themselves as so little is known. I think the best advice you could receive, given the lack of information on the subject, is not to take high doses.

Adam

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Don't do it! Never know what's gonna happen. I have a bottle, and I use it once in a while. However, I find it incredibly difficult to get up in the morning, and end up sleeping in even more than if I just stayed up and went to bed late!

For the long term, perhaps you are oversleeping? Or have some kind of stress in your life? To treat the former, sometimes it is good to stay up all night to force sleepiness for the next night. Or, if you can stand it, force yourself to get up at the appointed time.

Usually, long-term insomnia may be a result of your body simply not needing sleep until a different time. Like, if you wish to sleep at 10 PM and get up at 6AM, your body might stubbornly be on a 3 AM to 11 AM shedule. Best way to combat that is to wait until you feel sleepy, which should be at 3AM. Set your alarm to 6AM, and then, through sheer force of will, get out of bed when the alarm goes off. Do this for a few nights, and you should start to feel tired earlier and earlier, as the minor sleep deprivation kicks in.

Alternative includes arranging a plan with your doctor...he gives you a set of the new sleeping pills (the ones that are normally prescribed as anti-depressants have fewer side-effects than the terrible over-the-counter crap). You take specific pill every night for a couple of weeks, and hopefully you'll be back to a normal schedule again. Of course, some of the pills are placebos, to prevent dependency on the drug.

Personally, the most effective method for me is the "by sheer force of will" method. Yes, it really really sucks...my motivation goes to hell when I'm dead-tired, but it works!

Also, avoid coffee after lunch,if you can. Caffeine has a half-life of around 5 hours in the human body, so you don't want any caffeine inside you by bedtime!