1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Would Calibration Do For Me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Aug 20, 2002.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering what benefit I could extract from buying Avia and an SPL and doing calibration on my system in its current state. I've got:

Paradigm Studio 60's (L&R)
    Denon 3802 (picking up from UPS tommorow!)
    Sony KV27FS12 WEGA

I've gone into service mode on the Wega and turned off red push, corrected the over squeeze on the 16:9 enhancement mode, and set the 'Movie' mode color settings to the same as someone else who calibrated the same set using Avia and posted the results online. I'm not familiar with audio calibration in general, but I'm wondering what benefit I would obtain with only two speakers connected? Similarly, I don't know if there's anything else I could correct with my picture through calibration. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Calibration audio-wise is mostly the balance of the sub vs the rest.

It could also apply to L-C-R and RR & LR but these can be done with the receiver tones.

Picture-wise: Gray scale tracking and color temperature as well as geometry and convergence would be addressed by a good calibrator.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    He's not talking about ISF calibration... just using the Avia DVD.

Justin,
    Using the Avia or VE disc is highly recommended. Using various tinted film you will set the color exactly. You will also set the brightness and contrast to the correct settings. Most rental stores have Avia so you may not have to purchase it (rent & buy the blue tinted film). The image may appear dark at first but you'll begin to notice extra detail (that increased 'sharpness' adjustment eliminates).

The other big (cheap) improvement would be to build some video mattes for various aspect ratios. This makes a big difference in perceived contrast.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

On the video side, there's some significant gains to be made, even on an inexpensive monitor.
    For the audio side, the differences are substantial, and our ears are terrible at determining absolute levels.
    Beg, borrow or steal an SPL meter, and after calibrating you should find a dramatic improvement in dialog clarity (common problem is to have surrounds too loud).
    Regards,

5. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

To play devil's advocate, in Justin's case, I don't think there will be that much difference for audio calibration, assuming he has the speakers set about the same difference apart from the listening area. I'm guessing for most people, the left/right speaker are very close in volume by default, and the adjustments are primarily main with the center/surrounds.

Regarding the video, it would probably make more difference, since I'm guessing not all Wega's are identical, so taking someone else's calibration measurements, especially if it isn't the exact same model, is probably not very accurate.