What's new

what would be the next evolution of current genres, do you think? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
on fps, i think they will use deus ex as a starting point. nolf2 is an indication..."lets add some rpg elements!"...and i like the idea.

for other genres...i dunno. on platformer games, for example, mario sunshine vs mario 64. any evolution, at all? no, i think. adventure games? still point and click.

i got a feeling they will try to expand the "free roam in the city". grand theft auto 3, mafia...and if i am not mistaken, it was all started by midtown midness. correct me if i am wrong, since at that time my pc sucked ass, and i didnt like pc games.

seems like online multiplayer games are the future of videogames. too bad, i dont play multiplayer...no time. they would kick my sorry ass easily...

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, whatever they do, I'm hoping to see massive advances in AI. Part of the interest in online gaming is playing against human opponents as opposed to predictable AI. I think what we all want from a game is to be surprised, caught off guard, thrown for a loop. Basically, you have to ask yourself, when was the last time you were genuinely surprised by what happened in a game situation, where you went, gee, I didn't expect that or see that coming.

I'm also looking for major increases in interactivity. One of my dispappointments with GTA3 was not being able to use my baseball on cars or storefront windows. I so wanted to go around town bashing out the windows of parked cars.

I think a major part of the appeal of GTA3 is getting to play a hood as opposed to the standard hero role. Basically your missions consisted of a series of beatings, heists, hits, etc. It'll be interesting to see if Vice City has the same level of appeal, now that the novelty has worn off.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'd say all the genres will continue to evolve at the pace we've become accustomed to. The FPS, however, will continue to lead the way in terms of coding technology.
If we could answer what the next revolution was going to be we'd be a hot commodity in the industry. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks