What would be the best sub or subs for my system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_Z, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Doug_Z

Doug_Z Agent

I don't know if I should go with 1 or 2 subs. Also I don't know if I should stick with the same brand sub as speakers. I am going with the M&K powered 150P's for my front 3. My rears will be driven by a separate 4 channel amp.The rears will be 4 M&K tipoles. I haven't heard anything negative about these speakers, for HT only purposes, and there are so many speakers to choose from that I have finally made that decision.
    My problem now is whether to buy 2 MX-150 thx ultra. 20-200hz with dual push pull 12" woofers and 150 watts. OR 1 MX-350 thx ultra.18-200hz with a 350 watt amp and the same push pull design. Specs say both are sealed although the photo looks like they are ported. Or I could buy one or 2 of another brand sub. The 350 is $1800 which seems like a lot for 350 watts. The 150 is about $1100.
    My room is 16x16x8 with an open kitchen and 2 other open doorways. One leads into the living room. The other into a hallway.I have wall to wall carpet. I am thinking 2 subs would be better than one but I would lkie some knowlegable input. Also these M&K subs meet the 10 year old THX specs which were -3db at 35hz. I don't know if they exceed them. The new Ultra 2 specs are +3db at 20hz. I don't know what the audible difference would be.The entire system is designed to interact.
    Would I lose any integration of the sub with the rest of the system if I used a different company's Sub.
    Should I use one or two subs? Either way what specs should I look for? I know I need at least 20-200 HZ. I am hazy on the meaning of push/pull and how important the wattage is as opposed to the quality of the amp.( I think the 150 and 350 with the M&k's are RMS but they don't say. I know Subs work mostly with peak bass only)
    Of course M&K say their system is designed to work together with the 150 or 350. I have a feeling you all would argue that any quality sub would integrate just as well. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. Doug[​IMG]

2. Jon Best

Jon Best Extra

I'd stay with MK for your subs. The 150P are arguabley some of the best HT speakers avail (imo)and they deseve no less than MK's best subs. I would go with two 350's or 5000's, you can start with one and buy another when you are ready (if this is a $$ situation) You can also find them for much less on Audiogon slightly used.
    Something else to consider is looking at MK's "Pro" line where they are introducing "Backfire" models which I think are called MPS-5420/5410/5320.
    This must be an amazing system for movies!!

3. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

From the speaker system you have choosen, it appears you are performance oriented rather than money conscience. In my opinion, 2 subs is better than one...especially if you co-locate them. You have more output with less strain on the subs! If you are thinking about shelling out $3000.00 or so towards a sub or 2 subs (2 150's are around $2500) I would seriously consider going with an SVS dual Ultra set-up. I think the Dual Ultra package would outperform the mighty M&K5000 and only run you about $2100.00. In a room that size...the amount of slam would be frightening! Other people on this forum have had good results integrating the SVS Ultra's with the M&K 150 set-up. If you absolutely can't go with the "tube" type sub...wait 2 weeks and see what new sub SVS is designing...you will kick yourself if you don't. I have personal experience with the MX-150 thx. I still had mine when my VTF-3 arrived. The performance was similar with a slight edge in output going towards the VTF-3...half the price. I bought a second VTF-3 and sold the MX-150. I am presently buying the SVS 25-31 PC Plus...SVS promises it will dust the VTF-3...it will be fun to compare [​IMG] SVS Ultra link