What would be the best Plasma in the 55-60 inch range?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bradley_Z, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I started out asking about LCDs in another thread, but thought I'd start a new one for plasmas. I know I want 1080p, but don't know how to figure out which models have the best picture quality or usable features. Are the newer models really worth the extra money?

Unless there is some kind of much have feature coming out in the next month or so I'd like to get the tv soon. It would be great if I could have it setup in time to watch the US Open in high definition.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

50" Pioneer Elite PureVision PRO-FHD1 1080p has an MRSP of $10,000.

65" Panasonic TH-65PX500 is expected to be released around $10,000, and Pansonic plans on releasing a 50" 1080p model:

http://www.physorg.com/news6950.html

To my knowledge there are no other 1080p plasma's available [​IMG]

3. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

So right now there is nothing else in the 55-60 inch range that is flat screen and can be mounted on the wall that can display 1080p?

I looked at the PRO-FHD1 on the pioneer website and it is listed under monitors, not tvs, which I thought was strange. I looked at the preview for it on cnet and saw that it does not include a tv tuner. Here is what is says:

"Uniquely, the Pro-FHD1 will not be equipped with any sort of tuning capability--it's simply a monitor and doesn't have the external media center found on current models. Pioneer's rep explained that tuners were omitted from the first-generation version as a cost-cutting measure and also to reduce interference that may result from having RF circuitry inside the panel itself. Like most of the 1080p-capable displays we saw at the show and unlike most on the market now, the Pro-FHD1 will be able to accept 1080p formats via its HDMI inputs."

If I buy this do I have then have to also shop for a tv tuner in order to get high definition signals from comcast or a satelite company? If so how would I do that?

Are there any companies planning on releasing any flat screen tvs that do 1080p in the 55-60 inch range? It doesn't matter that much if its lcd or plasma, I just want something I can hang over the fireplace.

4. Alon Goldberg

Samsung has a 57" LN-S5797D 1080p model, this is the only model I'm aware of with your requirements [​IMG]

But you may want to consider the new Sharp Aquos 52" D62 Series model coming out next month, which will also offer 1080p.

5. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I'm sorry to be such a pain, but this is a huge purchase for me and I want to buy the right tv. On the cnet specifications for the Samsung, it says under Video Systems "Supported DTV Resolutions # 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i." Does that mean when the cable/satelite starts showing tv at 1080p I won't be able to see it at 1080p?

When I look at the Samsung website it says under connections "HDMI in 2 (1080p/1080i)." If it has a 1080p HDMI input, then why can't it display 1080p tv signals?

I'm also confused by the lack of a HD tv tuner in some models, is that something you have to buy seperately or will the cable/satelite company give you one?

6. Alon Goldberg

Here in Canada my cable company provides me with an HD Cable Box, so I don't require an HD TV Tuner. You may want to ask this specific question in another thread.

Personally, I would wait just a bit longer for an LCD or Plasma solution over 55" with 1080p as there will be many more solutions on the market this fall.

7. Alon Goldberg

Found another LCD for you, the Sharp Aquos LC57D90U offers 57" 1080p. This set retails for around $15,000.

8. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

How does the Sharp 57" compare with the Samsung 57"? I'd really like to get a nice tv to watch the US Open this year, and I was about to go to the store to see if any of these models can be seen there.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Bradley

Sharp has been making LCD longer than anyone. Sharp is pretty much the gold standard in LCD. But then we get back to the issue of whether you want to drop $15,000 on the 57 inch Sharp, rather than waiting a couple months for the 58 inch Panasonic 58 inch 1080P plasma, and save $10,000

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Oh yeah, I've been watching the US Open Series on a 65 inch 1080i Toshiba CRT RPTV and the Picture Quality is great. The ball, the lines, everything is more than I expected watching tennis in 1080i. For the $10,000 difference, you could probably get some scalped courtside seats to the US Open [​IMG]

11. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I think you're right. It looks like 1080p plasmas and lcds will start coming out in greater number next year, and I'm not comfortable spending $7,000 + on a tv without reading any reviews or seeing it in action. I'd still really like to watch the US Open in HD, so what do you think about this option?

What about getting a 40" to 50" lcd that I can use to watch the US Open in my family room, and then move to a smaller room when there are more options and lower prices on larger tvs. I was going to have to get a tv for that room eventually anyway.

I see that Sony makes 2 1080p models that are 40 inches as well as 46 inches, but I don't know what the difference is between the same size models other than the price. Sharp also makes 2 1080p models that are 45" that are different prices that look to be the same.

I know I've gone all over the map here, but what tv would you suggest in this size range?

12. Alon Goldberg

Hi Bradley - the new Sharp Aquos 52" LC-52D62U 1080p should be out in Sept/Oct. It will be available for around $4,500. There is also a new 46" LC-46D62U which will be available for around $3,500.

I wouldn't even consider the new Sony Bravia XBR2/XBR3 models. Why pay a $1,000 Sony tax? The 46" XBR3 is priced $1,000 higher than the Sharp Aquos model.

13. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

14. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Bradley

Where are you with your display decision? The Open starts tomorrow, I'm surprised you are not out shopping [​IMG]

15. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I know the US Open starts tomorrow. I'm trying to find a direct tv package so I can pick which match I want to watch. I went out to sound advice and they had a 50 inch Elite plasma with a blue ray DVD playing that looked awesome. I mainly wanted to see what 46" looked like to see if it would be too big for my smaller room.

They only had a handful of 1080p tvs, but they didn't have a 1080p input so it was hard to see any difference between those and the 768 tvs.

Anyway, I looked at some reviews of the Sharp Aquos LC-45GD7U, and in places like Amazon some people have said it cannot do true 1080p. One person said "It can accept a 720p signal and up convert it to be displayed as 1080p but that adds no quality, it just resamples the image at a higher resolution, often looking worse than the original source image."

Considering I'm planning on using it for a playstation 3 or Xbox, that would be a very large drawback. It also says on CNET that it has "Supported DTV Resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i." I don't see 1080p anywhere. If this doesn't in fact work properly with 1080p, what other choices are there? Also what is the difference between the
    LC-45GD5U and LC-45GD7U besides the price and the 7 instead of the 5 in the name?

16. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Bradley, I'm not an expert on Sharp Aquos.

I have come to a conclusion however. I think you ought to just go ahead and get the Sharp 57D90U. Onecall has $500 off using code FALL06. Nothing is perfect, but this one is a great size, 1080P, etc.

Onecall should be opening just about now, and it should arrive by the time you have your HD feed set-up.

Regards

17. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Bradley

As I've been following your search since the beginning [​IMG], I'm curious where you are at with your TV purchase?

Thanks

18. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

Right now I'm right back to where I was before the US Open started, which is with nothing. I feel like the entire industry is working against letting me buy a good high definition tv that I can watch HD content on.

This tv is a very large purchase and I as much as I would have loved to have seen those 2 awesome Agassi matches in high def, it wasn't worth having me rush and get a tv and service I wouldn't be happy with.

Of course the main issue is with getting a tv that will worth with future inputs with full 1080p, and the choices and prices right now are just too small and high, respectively. I hope that by Christmas there will be choices and lower prices.

Another big problem is buying a tv and then not having enough high def content, which seems to be the case now. Yes, I'd get the US Open now, but when its over I'd only get a handful of channels in high def with cable, or I could switch to satelite and get a few more, but then all my dvrs and things wouldn't work as well.

Then there's the format war, heavy copy protection restrictions, and high price of all the new DVD players. I know the playstation 3 has a built in blue ray player, so I might get that, but its still pretty expensive.

What this all boils down to is that I don't think its a good time for me to buy a tv right now. I'm hoping that if I put off the purchase another couple of months I'll be able to get a nice Christmas gift for my family and finally move to high definition.

19. Alon Goldberg

Bradley - have you considered purchasing an LCoS set? This will offer you the best of all worlds. I would recommend the JVC HD-ILA sets or the Sony SXRD sets. Many find the picture quality of LCoS sets to be superior to Plasma or DLP.

Overview: http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

You can pick up a 61" JVC HD-61FN97 1080p for just over $3,000.