1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

What would be best choice DirectTV or Dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

In terms of customer support, reliability, programming, price, picture quality, which supports 5.1. What do you have and are you satisfied?. I would require two receivers. TIA.

2. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

I've got DirecTV. If you sign up soon, you'll be able to get all the channels and every NFL game for about $40 a month for the first three months. After that, it's about $80 a month to keep all the channels, but they have a variety of pricing plans from about 21.99, so you can probably find what you're looking for. The major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) don't have network-wide contracts with DirecTV, so there's a possibility that you can't get those stations on the dish without first getting a letter of authorization from the local affiliate. Other than that, the selection is pretty decent. Customer service has held it's own since I've been with them - they've always made the changes that I've requested at a moment's notice, etc. As for reliability, I've only had one instance where I didn't get any reception, and that was because a storm blew the dish over. The picture quality is really crisp - nothing to complain about there.

Hope it helps,
    -Rob

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Rob
    Was the prices you quoted for one or two receivers or does it matter, does DirectTV
    support DD 5.1, Thanks.

4. Rob Tenniswood

Gerard - the price I quoted was for one reciever. I actually don't know if DirecTV supports 5.1

-Rob

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

save your money on the 5.1 unit,get the analog and a good prologic 2 reciever,my brother paid 350.00$ for a sony w/digital out and my analog sounds much better,btw ive had no trouble at all from directv,awesome service IMO.

7. GeoffL

GeoffL Auditioning

I've got DISH and am extremely happy.
    It's cheaper and excellent service.

Dish now offers 3 free months. Also, even though
    Dish doesn't have NFL ticket, they do have a sports package that offers ~60% of all NFL games. Plus, they offer collegiate football games (GO Purdue!!!).

I've been extremely happy with Dish. IMHO, it ends up being a lot cheaper for the same service.

8. Rob Tenniswood

Boo Purdue! Go IRISH!

9. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

Screw the Irish. Go Trojans!!! [​IMG]

10. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie

11. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Yup, $350 seems pretty steep. I paid $100 (after rebate) for my Ultimate TV receiver w/ digital audio out. I didn't even want the UTV, but the unit was on sale for cheaper than the regular receiver w/ digital audio. I ordered the UTV service just to try it for a month, now I don't think I could live without it.

Oh, and I've been very happy with DirecTV so far. (3 months now) I just wish there were more shows that utilized the 5.1.

12. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

I am moving into a new house on Saturday and I have been looking for these things. I am going to order this one:
    RCA with DD It is 80 bucks if you install it yourself. So, that is the route I am going to take. My parents have had DTV and Dish. They have finally decided on DTV. My friends have Dish and I was not to impressed but they say it is cheaper. But I am going DTV.
    Doug

13. Rob Tenniswood

Bah. Irish all the way!!

Rob.