What's new

What would be best choice DirectTV or Dish (1 Viewer)

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
In terms of customer support, reliability, programming, price, picture quality, which supports 5.1. What do you have and are you satisfied?. I would require two receivers. TIA.

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
I've got DirecTV. If you sign up soon, you'll be able to get all the channels and every NFL game for about $40 a month for the first three months. After that, it's about $80 a month to keep all the channels, but they have a variety of pricing plans from about 21.99, so you can probably find what you're looking for. The major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) don't have network-wide contracts with DirecTV, so there's a possibility that you can't get those stations on the dish without first getting a letter of authorization from the local affiliate. Other than that, the selection is pretty decent. Customer service has held it's own since I've been with them - they've always made the changes that I've requested at a moment's notice, etc. As for reliability, I've only had one instance where I didn't get any reception, and that was because a storm blew the dish over. The picture quality is really crisp - nothing to complain about there.

Hope it helps,
-Rob

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Rob
Was the prices you quoted for one or two receivers or does it matter, does DirectTV
support DD 5.1, Thanks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Was the prices you quoted for one or two receivers or does it matter, does DirectTV
Most DirectTV deals will cost another $5/mth per additional receiver.
DirectTV does support DD 5.1. It requires a different receiver than the basic model. The RCA receiver has an optical output for digital sound. It does not have a digital coax output. I think that this is true for the Sony version as well. Either the RCA or Sony digital will cost about $100 more than the basic receiver. Personally I went with a receiver for digital sound for my main system and the basic receiver for the bedroom.
However, the amount of programming that has 5.1 sound is minimal.
:frowning:

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
save your money on the 5.1 unit,get the analog and a good prologic 2 reciever,my brother paid 350.00$ for a sony w/digital out and my analog sounds much better,btw ive had no trouble at all from directv,awesome service IMO.

GeoffL

Auditioning
I've got DISH and am extremely happy.
It's cheaper and excellent service.

Dish now offers 3 free months. Also, even though
Dish doesn't have NFL ticket, they do have a sports package that offers ~60% of all NFL games. Plus, they offer collegiate football games (GO Purdue!!!).

I've been extremely happy with Dish. IMHO, it ends up being a lot cheaper for the same service.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
save your money on the 5.1 unit,get the analog and a good prologic 2 reciever,my brother paid 350.00$ for a sony w/digital out and my analog sounds much better
I hope you were kidding Shane??

Listening to PPV and Starz/HBO Directv w/ 5.1 output sounds MUCH better than any Prologic set up.

Plus the receivers w/ 5.1 aren't that expensive these days..$150 tops.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, $350 seems pretty steep. I paid $100 (after rebate) for my Ultimate TV receiver w/ digital audio out. I didn't even want the UTV, but the unit was on sale for cheaper than the regular receiver w/ digital audio. I ordered the UTV service just to try it for a month, now I don't think I could live without it.

Oh, and I've been very happy with DirecTV so far. (3 months now) I just wish there were more shows that utilized the 5.1.

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
I am moving into a new house on Saturday and I have been looking for these things. I am going to order this one:
RCA with DD It is 80 bucks if you install it yourself. So, that is the route I am going to take. My parents have had DTV and Dish. They have finally decided on DTV. My friends have Dish and I was not to impressed but they say it is cheaper. But I am going DTV.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks