What would be a replacement for an Onkyo 595?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I have the audio dropout problem on my Onkyo 595. What would be the best reciever to replace it that has the same features/quality for about the same price that is not having audio dropout issues? I have two days left to decide. I am really happy with this reciever. I do not want to take it back. Although I do not want to buy something there is a known problem with. It seems the Harmon Kardon recievers are not as good for home theater and they offer less watts for the same price. It also seems that some people do not have this problem. I wonder if I should take this unit back and get another 595?

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

It seems that again, we get another post where someone wants to return their receiver over a problem that may or may not be Onkyo related. Yes, it does affect Onkyo receivers, but it may be a more far reaching problem than that.

I don't think anyone can tell you what is best for you. If you are that stressed over this issue, return the receiver while you can and get a Denon (which is comparable - and would be my alternative). But is there any guarantee that this same problem won't rear it's ugly head with a Denon?

As I state in other similiar threads, you could purchase another brand of receiver - and not have a problem as you do now, but what about future. How do we know that a totally new a different problem won't surface with other brands of receivers that don't exist now.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The audio dropout problem appears to be more software related than hardware related. I had the English DD 5.1 audio dropoff on JP3. In French DD 5.1 and in DTS it was fine. I have an Outlaw 1050.

4. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Brian,

If you're happy with the 595, other than the audio dropouts on the DD track of two releases, you should keep it. You can still play the DTS tracks on those releases, so you're not left out in the cold.

Some receivers in the same price range/capabilities would be:

Denon 1602/1802 (which also has problems with JP3 and PH)

Kenwood VR-509/VR-510

Yamaha HTR-5250/RX-V800 (the RX-V1000 may be too expensive)

Harmon Kardon AVR-310

Marantz SR-6200

You would need to listen to each of these to see if you like the sound. The Denon or Marantz are the most similar sounding IMO, but still not the same. I personally did not care for the sound of the Yamaha or HK for music and did not listen to the Kenwood in a good setting, so I can't comment on it. Some of these will give you features that are not available on the 595, including DTS-ES and DD-EX. I personally prefer the sound, remote and look of the Onkyo.

David

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind the Denons do have the audio drop out problem to.

6. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I have a Harman Kardon AVR310, no audio drop off problems w/ JPIII,in either DD or DTS, and sounds great w/ HT and fabulous with music. I think the H/K's are "underated" on this site, and are very underated in the power department.

If you look at some of the S&V mag measurements you will see that some Onkyo's do not put out anywere near rated power, and the Denon/HK receivers do. I only have experience with the HK I have, but it is truly a very clean sounding receiver to me. If I bought a new receiver I would buy a Denon or a HK. Look at getting a HK AVR220 or 320, or a Denon 1802 or 2802. Again, do not be fooled by the HK ratings of 45 watts x 5, they are like 100+ "Sony" watts.

IMHO

7. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator