What would a widescreen DVD look like on a Portable Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William R, Dec 14, 2002.

1. William R

William R Agent

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm going to be getting a portable DVD player that has a 7-inch 16:9 diagonol LCD widescreen. I'm wondering what a Widescreen movie would look like on it, Would the Picture appear small just like on a regular 4:3 TV or would the 7-inch 16:9 diagonol screen make any diffrence while watching a widescreen movie? Also what would a pan and scan movie look like since the screen is 16:9 diagonol. This portable player i'm getting also has a zoom feature would this make any diffrence in watching a widescreen movie?
  2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Aug 3, 2001
    As long as you inform the DVD player portion of the portable (via the setup menus) that you are watching the output on a 16x9 screen, the output will look the same as on any other 16x9 display. In other words, a 2.35:1 film will have noticable black bars on the top and bottom. A 1.78:1 aspect film will fill up the screen pretty much perfectly. And any 1.33:1 display - fullscreen, open matte, or pan-and-scan - will have noticable black bars on the sides.

Whether the widescreen picture appears "small" or not will depend on whether or not you have an DVD encoded with anamorphic widescreen enhancement. Anamorphic enhancement makes it fill up the widescreen display, as I described above (depending on the aspect ratio). If not, if you have a plain "letterbox" item like Titanic, then you'll still be able to use "zoom", "fill", and "justify" settings to fill up the screen, if that's what you want to do.