What Wires To Pre-run To TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Luke D, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Luke D

Luke D Agent

I am working on renovating my friends house. He is planning to install a flat screen TV above the Mantel of the fire place. My questions is what wires should I run to the TV area before we drywall? My thought was to run everything out of the home theater receiver (not purchased yet) thru the video switching. So if I went that route I guess all I would need would be a set of component cables, and 1 s-video cable. Anybody have any other thoughts??

2. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I just recently went though this while building my theater. We had to do a run for a ceiling mounted projector and a wall mounted plasma (future addition--no money left for a plasma now!)

I ended up running component cables, a composite cable, and a cat-5 cable to use as a control wire. The cat-5 will be used to carry IR signals from an IR distribution unit located where all of my equipment is.

I chose to go with a composite cable over s-video b/c it is cheaper and because all of my sources have composite at a minumium. My pre/pro will only pass signals in the same medium that it recieves them, so I figure that with all of my high quality sources I'll be using the component connection and for the lesser quality ones composite would be fine.

3. Luke D

Luke D Agent

Thanks Rich
    I think i will play it safe and run composite cable, s-video, and component cables. I might even run the cat5 just in case we do somthing with IR. Where in philly are you located?

4. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I live in the concordville area near the intersection of rt-1 and rt-322.

I'm just finishing up my theater. Waiting on a bracket to mount my projector. It's supposed to be in Monday, just in time for the Eagles on MNF!

Good luck w/ your project.

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I'm not sure if there are any building codes that refer to running wires inside walls, but I know I selected speaker wire that was rated for in-wall use. I've heard of people running pvc through the wall, then snaking cables as they need them.